1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MTV30

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 30, 2011.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The first 30 videos aired on MTV:

http://tinyurl.com/3pxwtqz

Those who watched in the early years will not be surprised to see that 3 of the first 30 are from Rod Stewart. (And God bless 'em, two from Split Enz!)

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Wow, never seen that before. Really all over the map. Lotta obscure artists like Robin Lane, Michael Johnson, Lee Ritenour (not exactly a mainstream pop artist), the Shoes, Rupert Hine. And I would have never imagined that Split Enz showed up twice along with longtime Canuckistani faves April Wine.

Up here we didn't have MTV (Much Music didn't start until 1984) but we had Toronto Rocks, a live weekday video show that started in 1984 on City-TV and Video Hits and Good Rockin' Tonight, two shows on CBC.

3. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

I read somewhere that Davy was supposedly the best drummer in the band.

4. Mira

Mira Member

LOVE Split Enz. Six Months in a Leaky Boat ...

Neil Finn has done a good job with his solo work. And Crowded House, of course, is genius.

5. patchs

patchs Active Member

Saw it at a friends' house, early 1982, Van Halen's Pretty Woman, Elvis Costello's Oliver's Army and Joe Walsh's Life of Confusion were the first videos I remember.
    And then there was Remote Control....

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I remember when MTV was funny.

No wait ...

That was something else.

Damn failing memory.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think that was Life of Illusion

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Or it was a Joe Walsh/Genesis mashup

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Definitely not the first videos I saw. Can't remember what that was. But someone mentioned Duran Duran, and I remember that Rio video so well, and the woman in it. I wanted her. Bad.

Also, there was the A-ha video for Take On Me, which was pretty cool the first few times, until they started playing it over and over again and it became apparent that it was a crappy song that even a cool video couldn't make up for.

I also remember a bunch of Cars videos. And that Styx album that had the hologram on it, Paradise Theater, must have had some of the first videos that MTV aired.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Could have been Land of Illusion, then

And Take on Me is still the best video ever, in the same way that Fantasia is still the best animated film ever.

11. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

MTV was big for me when I wasn't old enough to drive. This was early to mid 90s.

I remember a steady stream of TLC's "Don't go chasing waterfalls" and Coolio's "1,2,3,4". It was about that time I thought Oasis was going to be the biggest band in the history of the world.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I still love "Take On Me", both the song and video.

First video I can recall seeing was the uncensored version of Duran Duran's "Girls On Film". The band filmed the video for "The Reflex" at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto and half the girls in my high school claimed to be in it.

Draft saved Draft deleted