1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MTV30

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 30, 2011.

1. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

There was a neighbor kid who had not only MTV but a VCR — two things my family didn't have. He was a lot more popular around the neighborhood after recording the "Thriller" video.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

We didn't get MTV until real later on, like around 1987 or so, because it was on a more expensive cable tier than what my parents wanted to pay for. The one that sticks out in my head from MTV was "Come On Eileen", when Martha Quinn was hosting a flashback show.

In terms of overall first music videos, I remember "Thriller", Peter Schilling's "Major Tom" and the Police's "Wrapped Around My Finger".

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Thomas Dolby - She Blinded Me With Science..

Fun trivia - most people know that the Buggles "Video killed the Radio Star" was the first video played on MTV. The second? "You Better Run" by Pat Benatar.

I think it began to tank when Pauly Shore showed up.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Which was your pick?

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

woman

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Enjoy the orange wedges. Sometimes, there are no losers.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Pat Benatar - Highly underrated.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Only day of school I ever skipped --- drove 200 miles to Atlanta to see her in concert.

9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I watched the opening of MTV on 8/1/81 and said to my buddy, "This one ain't gonna last long."
    So I was wrong...

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Not if you meant the music part.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Rolling Stones Waiting on a Friend while visiting my grandparents.

12. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I remember watching MTV alllllll day during summers in the late '90s. Can't say for sure what my first video was, since I don't have many clear memories before 1988, but the first ones I can recall are "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and something by Candlebox.

I really miss the video-themed shows like "Say What?" and "12 Angry Viewers." I think I stopped watching when "Frat Life" debuted, coming back sporadically for "Clone High."

Draft saved Draft deleted