1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MTV30

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So the 30th anniversary tribute to MTV is airing on VH1 Classic, but not MTV?

2. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

MTV, like the rest of us turning 30 this year, doesn't want to recognize it, but our damn families really want to rub it in.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What was the first video you remember seeing? For me it was probably Bow Wow Wow's "I want candy"

We didn't get MTV immediately. I seem to remember having to wait a year or so, but I watched it when I would visit my grandparents in New Jersey.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

J. Geils Band's "Centerfold."

I remember having a spirited debate with my older brother (I was 9, he was 12) about whether Boy George was a man or woman.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I remember the day MTV "turned on" and we thought it was the coolest thing.

Every morning after football practice that August we went to a pal's home, wiped out the refrigerator and watched it for hours.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember the day it was available in Northern California. We had to call the cable guy to have him hook it up and my sister and I were standing there (I was 8 or 9, she was 6 or 7) going, "We're going to have MTV right? We're going to have MTV right?"

I think in the last 7-8 years the only thing I've watched on it is the movie awards.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

My guess would be "Walk Like an Egyptian". I didn't get cable til high school (early 90s), so I think I saw it on my grandma's TV

8. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

We actually didn't get MTV until later in life, so the first video I ever saw was probably on Night Tracks on TBS. For some reason, "Oh, Sherrie!" by Steve Perry pops into my head. Used to LOVE watching Night Tracks. My brother and I would camp out in the living room waiting for it to come on at midnight.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think mine was "Come on Eileen" by Dexy's Midnight Runners.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Mine was No Time to Lose by the Tarney Spencer Band.

11. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

My first was "I Love Rock and Roll" by Joan Jett.

12. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Video Killed the Radio Star.

No, I didn't watch it when it led off MTV, but I remember it was the first one I saw.

I remember we'd go on vacation in the '80s to our uncle's place in Florida. The city he lived in finally got MTV and he said he was always amazed we had it much sooner in small-town Iowa than he did in Florida.

Draft saved Draft deleted