1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MTV circa 1983

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 25, 2008.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Jesus, Fenian, that is one of the coldest things I've ever heard anyone say.
    But now that I've looked the word up, I agree.

2. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Yeah, it came with these guys.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

SHIPWRECK!!!!!!

I had something like 30 GI Joes. Not one was Snake. :'(

4. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Small world, no?

And I probably only watched/listened to about 15 minutes of it, but it was something to see how the world's changed since 1983. A couple of examples:

1) 1-800-HOT-ROCK: You mean we actually had to wait like a week to get music? Hello, iTunes.

2) Goodman starts talking about some interview of some band. "If you want to see the interview, go to the museum in Berlin. Who the heck are we kidding? We've never been to Berlin, who's going to go to Berlin to see that interview?" Thanks, the InterWebs!

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Felt the same way.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Because instead of watching MTV for three hours and ignoring your parents, you're now watching MTV for three hours and ignoring your child(ren)?

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I had the hots for two MTV video chicks:

Terri Nunn of Berlin. In "The Metro" video, she was smoking hot.

The chick in Bryan Adams' "Cuts Like A Knife" video. Beautiful black hair, gorgeous face, and she strips (you can't see anything). Damn, that lady had me adjusting my fly.

8. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

The best part of the second video is definitely the Ken Anderson Coffee Achievers commercial.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

How weird. Based on the video, this aired the first week of November 1983 (more on that in a separate thread).

Men At Work's It's A Mistake is among the videos shown ... and unbeknownst to us ... the Soviets damn near did mistakenly blow us to kingdom come in early November 1983. Colin Hay -- new wave Nostradamist!

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I went back in time and saved us all.

You're welcome. ;D

11. Mira

Mira Member

I was 16 in 1983 and MTV fascinated me to no end. I loved Leo Sayer, REO Speedwagon ... and of course, Duran Duran.

12. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Wait, let me feather my hait and throw on my British Flag t-shirt like Joe Elliott!!!

And please let there be some Marhta Quinn. Me and Mojo Nxon want to watch.

Draft saved Draft deleted