1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MSP-bound airplane goes silent, overshoots airport

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Oct 23, 2009.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Certainly one of those "Oh Shit" moments.
    Plane heading to Minny-St. Paul overshot the airport by 16 minutes while air traffic controllers et. al. tried to figure out what the fuck was going on. At one point, they were ready scramble fighters. Gotta wonder if the 147 people on board had any clue what was happening.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TRAVEL/10/23/airliner.fly.by/index.html

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. [/crew's response]

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Now the airlines want to institute a policy in which pilot naps would be permitted during flight.

Hey, boys and girls, this isn't complicated. If I'm correct that federal law prohibits pilots from flying more than 100 hours in a month, that's an average of 23 hours and 15 minutes a week. If you can't stay awake for those 23 hours, go find something else to do.

Yeah, I know, these pilots are doing other things when they're not flying. That's fine; I don't care if you fall asleep in a classroom, in a simulator or while you're otherwise shuffling papers. You're putting no one at risk.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

One pilot falling asleep? Sure.

Both?

Bullshit.

5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

The flight path:

http://www.startribune.com/photos/?c=y&img=2flightpath.jpg

6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

When this all comes out I will bet that it turns out the 2 pilots were arguing.

Delta and Northewest are merging, may be friction in the flight deck.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4219f00f&opt=0

The NTSB reported, that the crew told Air Traffic Control, that they had become distracted and had overflown Minneapolis and now requested to return.

The FAA reported, that according to post flight interviews the crew had engaged in a heated debate over airline policies and lost situational awareness.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Either that or "heated discussion over airline policy" is code for "getting hummers from flight attendants"

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd say they were either sleeping or arguing.

Or maybe playing Farkle.

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

"Hey sweetheart, you forget the coffee!" [/good will hunting]

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Not sure which is scarier - pilots sleeping through the flight, or pilots arguing to the point that for more than an hour they forget they're flying a plane.

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Is their convo on cockpit voice recorder? How long before someone gets ahold of it?

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I think the explanation is much simpler ...

[​IMG]

"Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes."

Draft saved Draft deleted