1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MSNBC's Jimmy Williams: Romney "Needs to Come out of the Closet on his Religion"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 14, 2012.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I take it you weren't raised Catholic in the South. My sisters and I as children were regularly told by adults that we were going to hell because we didn't believe in the Bible. So, it's been my personal experience that so-called Jesus-following evangelicals are as hypocritical as it gets.

2. TigerVols

Thank you for this very informative post. Good to know.

And I agree with the Jimmy Williams comment...FWIW.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I can't wait for you to be invited to make the Commencement Address at Liberty University. That should be a barn burner.

4. TigerVols

I dunno, but maybe Mitt was cutting off at the pass the increasing Internet rumormongering about his daddy being born on a polygamist compound in Mexico?

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm not interested in any of that.

I pointed out that reporting Liberty University calls Mormonism a cult is not equivalent to calling Mormonism a cult.

6. YankeeFan

Only one of the major party nominees for President had a father who was a polygamist, and it's not the Mormon.

7. YankeeFan

Putting a chyron on the screen reading, "Is it a cult" is not reporting.

8. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

The Catholics-aren't-Christian meme was a surprising and sad one for me to discover as it is so ahistorical. Prior to the 1500s, there were zero Baptists, Methodists, Anglicans, Presbyterians etc. So Christians in much of the Western World were Catholic of course.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It's the consequence of the reporting.

As a matter of news analysis, it's perfectly fair to ask this question:

"Liberty University defines Mormonism as a cult. Is it a cult?"

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Oh yes, which made it particularly hilarious that Shiite Catholic Rick Santorum became the rosy-cheeked darling of the fundies for a few weeks there.

97% of the time, 97% of Fundie Nation considers the Katlicks as one step up or maybe down from the M.N.'s.

Funny also that Frothy-Lube-and-Poop Boy, who of course paints himself as a modern-day Crusader of Rome, a Defender of the Faith, was so eager to leap straight into bed with a bunch which considers his whole religion pagan and idolaters.

11. TigerVols

Exactly. And, frankly, I personally couldn't care less about either Mitt's nor the President's dad. Dubya was a different story, of course, but I couldn't give a damn about Reagan or Clinton's (absent) dad either.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Raised as a Catholic in the South, and had similar experiences. I once accompanied a Baptist friend to a youth group meeting for the free pizza (I was a sports writer long before I was a sports writer!) and unwillingly found myself in the middle of a circle as everyone put their hands on my shoulders and "prayed for my soul."

C-r-e-e-p-y.

Draft saved Draft deleted