1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MSNBC's Jimmy Williams: Romney "Needs to Come out of the Closet on his Religion"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 14, 2012.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It might be better advice than it appears at first blush. He needs a convincing narrative to explain why he isn't a stereotypical privileged kid that grew up to be an out-of-touch bully. His faith story provides that. He doesn't have to get into the fine details of his religion, but he can talk about how it has changed him and shaped his views on issues. There are plenty of evangelical groups that don't consider LDS to be Christian, but work with them on social issues and generally respect their values.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Re: MSNBC's Jimmy Williams: Romney "Needs to Come out of the Closet on his Relig

The Democratic Party: Join the big tent, where we accept all excuses and take no responsibility (because Fox News did whatever it is first).

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

You are the most concerned person I know.

I'm concerned you will become emotionally spent with all this concern. Be more selfish once in a while, for your own good! You're concerning me!

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

People anthropomorphize the parties. So, "I agree with Democrats on abortion" also becomes, "The Democrats campaign righteously and honestly and the Republicans do not." Or, "I agree with the Republicans on taxes" becomes, "The Democrats have a nefarious plot to take away my freedom." It's not enough for people to side with a party on policy. They have this need to convince themselves that they side with the good guys.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What is he supposed to "defend"? His personal, specific religious beliefs? His Church's theology, and doctrine?

When has any candidate had to do that? And, why should they?

And, should candidates not speak before groups who disagree with them on religious issues, without first "defending their own religion"? I suppose no Jew would be able to speak to a Christian group?

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Kennedy.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Re: MSNBC's Jimmy Williams: Romney "Needs to Come out of the Closet on his Relig

If only Mitt were a Muslim extremist, then TV would applaud him for the strength of his convictions.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

On a related note, I can't stand Michael Eric Dyson on those vacuum commercials.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Did he defend his Church's doctrine, or just his independence from Rome?

Do we know where he stood on the Virgin Birth, the Trinity, Transubstantiation, etc.?

Because, it's Mormon theology people have issues with.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Don't know many Christian groups who teach that Jews belong to a cult. #StrawmanFail.

As for the overall discussion, it should be noted that Romney is not just a member of the Mormon church; he is a bishop who has attained (as best we can tell, given that the Mormon church is far more secretive than, say, Islam) some of the highest ranking positions in the church's leadership. His ongoing failure to ever mention his religion, even though it plays such an important part of his biography, is revealing.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Al Smith.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm not concerned.

Worried, yeah. Don't get me started on worried. But concerned? Nah.

Draft saved Draft deleted