1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MSNBC Drops the Ball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't understand how the executives, reporters, and anchors at MSNBC can have any self respect today.

Health care reform is a huge story. Right? There's breaking news, the Senate is currently in session, and MSNBC is showing its normal weekend documentaries.

Very weak.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

One can never have enough Raw Footage of To Catch a Predator/Lockup at Sing Sing or docs like "DEATH CAME CALLING."

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

And here ... we.... go!!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. YankeeFan

Why? I said nothing about the politics of the bill. Just criticizing, "The Place for Politics" failure to cover a huge story.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Agree wholeheartedly. MSNBC has for a long time been in need of a trip to the woodshed over its lack of weekend nimbleness. I'm curious how big the story would have to be to overcome the institutional inertia.

dixiehack likes this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

YankeeFan and I could not be more apart politically. I totally agree with his position here. What the hell good is 24-hour cable news if not for breaking news at any time?
    Of course, I don't think 24-hour cable news is good for anything anyway. All three networks suck in their own unique ways.

8. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Don't worry, YF. I'm sure the "fair and balanced" journalists over on Fox are more than picking up the slack.

*blue font off*

That said, I do agree. MSNBC needed to be covering this today.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

On a Saturday afternoon before Christmas on a second-tier newstalk network, Predator and Lock Up collect far more eyeballs than health care coverage. If I run NBCU and I turn on MS today and see some b-teamers talking health-care, I'm firing the boss first thing Monday morning.

There are plenty of places you can get health care coverage news today if you're desperate enough.

10. YankeeFan

This is what I'd like to know too and wish someone would look into.

Was it discussed? Did they decide not to break from the usual schedule or did they just put on the usual crap without even thinking about it?

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Wrong answer. This is one of the biggest stories of the year. If you want to be taken seriously as a news network, you shitcan the Dateline bullshit and cover it. Period.

MSNBC's not a "second-tier newstalk" network (whatever the hell that is) anymore. It needs to start acting like it.

Stop spewing bullshit. This is the same kind of myopia we decry regarding local-local-local news and sports coverage and it's equally shortsighted. Big news is breaking? Cover it. Period. No excuses.

They've always done this. It may have made sense in 1998 when nobody watched MSNBC. In 2009 it's utterly farcical.

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

MSNBC - the place for politics ... if those politics happen to take place during regular business hours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.