1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ms. Dowd Has Some 'Splainin' To Do.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fenian_Bastard, May 17, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

According to some knuckledraggers whose name begins with an H and ends with an ondo, this:

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Wait. Am I reading you incorrectly, or are you saying this is less serious than reprinting a quote? Because when another local paper "borrowed" a story I did off a one-on-one interview back in January, I was far more pissed that they lifted some of my writing than the quotes I used. Crap, they could've had the quotes (properly attributed, of course). But write your own story around them, dammit!

Lazy times two.

3. renaldo

renaldo New Member

MSNBC.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This is the point-shaving of the journalism world. Doesn't matter who you are, you get caught, you're gone.

5. Football_Bat

Nope, considered it and Mo's got the ABC vibe.

Where else can she go? NBC has Chuck Todd, CBS has Bob Schieffer, FOX has Chris Wallace. None of which typically pitch to the talking heads. ABC usually has the Cokie / George Will / Snuffleuphagus panel.

And an unfortunate typo for the Fla. goober here on Bloomberg: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1108/15644.html

6. Anything new on this?

She has to be fired, doesn't she?

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

In his chat on WashingtonPost.com (still live now), Howard Kurtz said that he sees this as "an inadvertent mistake."

Boonsboro, Md.: Is Maureen Dowd in any trouble with her employer for such an obvious case of plagarism? I remember the WP firing a columnist over less -- something before he was even hired. Or is MoDo teflon-coated?

Howard Kurtz: Some of you seem to think that Dowd is getting special treatment because of her status as a Pulitzer-winning star. It does seem odd that the line she says she got from her friend matches almost verbatim what was on the TPM blog. But again, it would have been a snap to rewrite that sentence, so it does seem to me to fall into the category of an inadvertent mistake.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2009/05/15/DI2009051501277.html?hpid=discussions

8. Howard, Howard, Howard. It's not the lie, it's the cover-up. When will you learn?

Goddamn, at least give her a token suspension of some sort. She's fucking toying with them with her completely unbelievable "explanation." The NYT is willing to sacrifice credibility because it's afraid of Mo Dowd? The NYT is a lot bigger than Mo Dowd. Jesus Christ this pisses me off.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Further proof that Howie Kurtz is a total d-bag.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Completely agree.

11. Football_Bat

Well, Wade Phillips is still pulling a paycheck signed by Jerrah.

So anything is possible.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Doesn't pass the sniff test in any way, shape or form.

Draft saved Draft deleted