1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ms. Dowd Has Some 'Splainin' To Do.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fenian_Bastard, May 17, 2009.

1. Ruh-roh, MoDo.

http://tpmcafe.talkingpointsmemo.com/talk/blogs/thejoshuablog/2009/05/ny-times-maureen-dowd-plagiari.php

2. This is one of those plagiarism cases that make you think, "Why the hell did she plagiarize that?" It's one thing, though no more or less forgivable, to steal a clever turn of phrase or interesting anecdote or a piece of original research. It's quite more ridiculous to copy and paste a thought she could have phrased in four hundred different ways.

She could have stolen the thought, moved a couple of words and commas around and nobody would have noticed or cared. What she actually did is pretty nuts.

3. You know, the sentence in question wasn't even well-written by Josh Marshall. I have no idea why anyone would steal it near-verbatim.

4. My guess is the explanation is going to be of the "I had my notes and the piece up on the screen at the same time, and accidentally etc. etc."

5. My thoughts exactly.

Though that makes absolutely no sense, and no journalist I know would be able to confuse an entire paragraph written by someone else with a paragraph written by them.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Love the use of the "if font on that link.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I just finished the column. The graph is -- essentially -- a throw-away.
    You could remove it, and it wouldn't matter. It would even transition fine.
    What an odd case/instance.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Seems the one change she did make from "we" to "the Bush Crowd" dooms this argument, too. Ironically, a verbatim copying might have made such an excuse more believable.

9. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Wow.

It's a pity to see what's become of Dowd. She used to be a sharp read, whether you liked her or not, but I haven't felt compelled to seek out her stuff in quite some time.

Sad.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Over/under on other instances of possible plagiarism by Dowd coming out: 48 hours.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

so how do you treat someone, particularly someone higher up the food chain, who is caught plagiarizing? had a publisher get caught red-handed plagiarizing large parts of a bud kennedy column and he suffered no real punishment. i already thought he was a joke but that incident confirmed it. the fact that he wasn't really punished and that he kept his job made me realize the whole chain was a joke.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

1. Nothing will happen to Dowd
    2. It's 7-5 this issue is never mentioned by the Times.

Draft saved Draft deleted