1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mrs. Palin, you want me to sit here and explain how the Family Guy works?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Trey Beamon, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It was a strange line. A couple of un-PC attempted puns aside, the episode treated the girl like anyone else who would look down on Chris -- I wouldn't say that the character was treated with respect (it is Family Guy), but her condition was mostly a non-issue. The "Governor of Alaska" line seemed out of place, cheap and didn't really make any sense.

If I were her, I'd probably be upset and I'm not surprised that she made a statement. "Fox Hollywood" was of course ridiculous and right in her wheelhouse.

2. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

How about Scott Brown for the GOP nomination. He won in Mass, he's young and energetic, and seems to have the same sort of charismatic appeal Obama had when he first became the Democrats' golden boy at that one convention. He has a bit less time in the national spotlight, but I could see it.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

This describes Family Guy to a Tee. Eric Cartman was absolutely right.

4. ripple

ripple Member

Like the people that voted for our current president? Pretty sure that's more than 1/3.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Seth knows she's a buffoon. That isn't the first epic shot he's thrown her direction, and it won't be the last.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Everybody really needs to calm down. According to the old, weathered GOP
    playbook, it's Romney's if he wants it.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Awesome.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think Will sums up Palin pretty well in that article.

Rush Limbaugh has been playing the audio from this scene:

on his show lately, comparing Obama to the professor. Even if you disagree with the comparison, it's a damn funny scene.

Too bad the Republican Party doesn't have anyone to credibly play the Rodney Dangerfield role.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Thank you. I did my best to sum her up really well in that column. But who is this Rush Limbaugh person you mentioned?

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Are you planning on taking her and Carrie Prejean's team-taught First Amendment Law seminar in the fall?

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Simpsons would never do this.

I'll take that bet.

12. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

The thing that bothers me about Palin is that I really thought, after Obama won and the Bush know-nothing vibe was repudiated, that the Republicans would have to come up with some actual ideas. But no. She is the new Bush, the comforter of those who value "common sense" above all that "pointy-headed nonsense" the "elites" are oppressing "us" with.
    "Common sense" of course, being these people's accumulated prejudices, "pointy-headed nonsense" being facts that don't correspond to their preferred fantasized reality. "Elites" being people who think knowing stuff might be as important as feeling it in your gut.
    And on and on we go. It took about six months for many people to forget that having a commander-in-chief whose response to every problem was to puff out his chest and square his jaw really had some serious drawbacks, in the long run.

Draft saved Draft deleted