1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mrs. Palin, you want me to sit here and explain how the Family Guy works?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Trey Beamon, Feb 17, 2010.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Only if the kid is complaining of a concussion.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

+1

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

4. If YOU had a kid with down syndrome and another downs parent excused a national talk radio host for malicious use of the word retard, would you be mad? I would.

If anybody else in the world expressed anger/shock/disappointment, etc. over this episode, I'd be fine with it. "Family Guy" has a right to air whatever it wants. People have every right to be pissed about it, satire or no.

However, I'll not be lending my handkerchief to dry Sarah Palin's tears. As others have pointed out, she can use her Fox-signed checks.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I think it's easy to get caught up in looking at that election only from a historical perspective, after the fact, in other words. There WAS a point at which McCain was polling very close and even ahead of Obama.

It turned into a landslide after things went to pot in September. In all likelihood, Obama would have won anyway. But there was definitely a period of time when it was a very real possibility that he wouldn't have.

As for 2012, the fact that someone would make a bad, even a terrible, candidate doesn't necessarily stop someone from getting the nomination. The last three elections have been relatively close, but a lot of the previous ones were utter landslides. (Kinda like Super Bowls, in a way.)

And she doesn't have to convince the 71 percent to get the nomination. If the 29 percent can be motivated to vote in the primaries, she's in with a pretty good chance, because it surely represents more than half of the Republican primary voting base. And that 29 percent isn't going to have its mind changed. It's the same 29 percent that still think Bush was a good president, that still think Obama's a foreigner, etc.

I also think she's significant for what she represents. More than two-thirds think she's unqualified to be president. But nearly a third do. And what that third represents is scary -- they're people who clearly don't think elected leaders need to have any qualifications to hold office at all, and indeed that a lack of qualifications is in itself the ultimate qualification.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Palin may indeed run, but the GOP nomination is Mittens' to lose. If Mittens beats Huck in Iowa and then wins N.H. strongly, it's game over. Huck will try a stand in the South but it won't be enough. Between the two, there won't be enough political oxygen for the Naughty Librarian.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Don't disagree at all. But can you honestly say you can't see Mittens finding a way to lose that nomination?

To say nothing of the fact that he represents everything the Tea Partiers allege to hate.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Huck wins Iowa if he runs. I'm not sure he does though.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Awesome.

Bottom line, though, Family Guy shouldn't have gone there. I'm not outraged. Perhaps a little disappointed. I rolled my eyes and shook my head when I heard about it. But it won't make me stop watching Family Guy. It's a very funny and tremendously written program.

Palin remains an asshole who cynically uses her kid with Down syndrome as a prop to boost her political aspirations.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I would like to see Sarah Palin and Peter Griffin debate.

11. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Know what really grinds my gears, Sarah?

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The inherent hypocrisy of that specific spin of hers was hysterical.

Draft saved Draft deleted