1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mrs. Doubtfire sequel in the works

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Apr 17, 2014.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Unless Robin Williams is still on coke, I don't see how he could have blown through all his money.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Two divorces. I've heard it cost him $20 million, and it's unclear if that's combined or each.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That sounds ridiculously low, given what he was making awhile back. There was about a 10-year stretch from 1990-2000 where he was in the $10-$20 million group, back when Doubtfire, Jumanji and some of the other crap he did was coming out. I remember reading that he made over $20 million for Bicentennial Man and that bombed so badly, I don't know if he's had a big successful film with him in a lead part since.

I loved Death to Smoochy, but I don't think anyone would call it anything resembling a hit.

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I've read that the season finale of "The Crazy Ones" had terrible ratings, airing on a night during which CBS' other shows were reruns and that was the final blow.

5. Mizzougrad96

I read something where they said it hadn't officially been canceled yet, but they expect it to be.

The whole "Big name coming back to TV" concept hasn't worked too well with new shows. This one had two bonafide stars and never got much traction, even if it was a pretty good show. The Michael J. Fox Show was a complete bomb, same with that show with the guy from Will and Grace.

Tim Allen has done OK, but Last Man Standing is far from a hit. Patricia Heaton has done pretty well, but that show isn't exactly a hit either, even though it will go into syndication, which is always a pretty impressive feat.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

And Last Man Standing is essentially "Home Improvement 2.0" with the boys replaced by girls and the tool show replaced by a outdoors store.

Just watched the finale of The Crazy Ones last night and I'm definitely disappointed they won't get a second season. Compared to some of the other new comedies, it's light years better. "Friends With Better Lives," for example, is off to a terrible start in my view.

7. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, Last Man Standing is nothing close to as good as Home Improvement, but it's still solid, at least compared to the other shit that's out there.

8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I've watched two episodes of Friends With Better Lives. The first one (which was the pilot) looked promising. The second one was uneven with some good stuff and some stuff that made 2 Broke Girls look like Citizen Kane.

9. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I don't mind when shows push the envelope, but so often, it's just not funny, and with the exception of 2 1/2 Men (a show that's success probably had more to do with having a huge star in the main role, than anything else) when has that formula been successful? Two Broke Girls will make in into syndication and has gotten a fourth season, but nobody is going to mistake it for a hit show. I don't think it's ever been a top 20 show (for the year).

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

All I know of 2 Broke Girls is dirty jokes and boobs. I can get both elsewhere.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Was believability a foundational element in the success of the original?

12. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Yes, actually. I mean, yeah, you have to suspend disbelief but you have to do the same thing to enjoy a movie about a billionaire who dresses like a bat and fights crime. But, the man loved his kids so it's plausible that he'd go to that extreme to spend time with them.

But, even in Hollywood, any possible plot for a sequel just wouldn't make sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted