1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mrs. Doubtfire sequel in the works

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Tyler Perry presents?

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The original was very good, but I can't imagine a scenario with any semblance of believability that would cause Daniel Hilliard to don the dress again.

Thumbs down.

As for The Crazy Ones, it's one of the few new comedies I've been watching. Sorry to hear it's being canceled. I think it's pretty good and getting better. Like you, Mizzou, I'm surprised it's not getting picked up. Too expensive, perhaps?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm guessing they're paying out the ass for both Williams and Gellar. It wouldn't surprise me if both were making over $100K an episode, which is a lot for a new show.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The first one ended with him starting a new TV show in the Mrs. Doubtfire getup. "The show has been airing for 20 years" is all the believability you need.

5. Mizzougrad96

According to a couple different web sites, Williams makes $165K and Gellar makes $100K an episode.

That's nothing for a hit show, but it might be a lot for one that is just petering along.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

This -- I didn't like the original very much either.

I am sure the producers will get by very nicely without Mara Wilson, who probably only guaranteed she has no chance in flaming hell to get the part by tweeting.

7. Mizzougrad96

I don't remember being a huge fan of the original, at least not compared to others who seemed to love it. I didn't hate it, but it was all just a bit much...

It made a shitload of money, there's no denying that.

8. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I liked the first one well enough. It's one of the few non-comedies or non-actions I can see on TV and just watch and enjoy. But I can't think of a premise that would be remotely interesting as a sequel. OK, so the show has been on for 20 years. At this point, anyone who would care would know Mrs. Doubtfire was actually a man dressed as a woman so any drama dealing with the show would deal with Daniel Hillard out of costume.

No matter how many off-the-wall concepts I can think of, none of them require Hillard to stay in character.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

A Mrs. Doubtfire sex tape would be more intriguing.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I forgot that's how it ended. I suppose that would provide the jumping off point.

Brad Garrett's probably doesn't come cheap, though he's only in a few episodes. It seemed his role was expanding, but I guess not.

It's really a pretty good show. The cast has chemistry and they play off Williams very well. It's difficult to keep Williams' personality from overwhelming other actors, but the rest of the cast does a good job holding its own, particularly James Wolk, who plays Zach.

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

There have been remakes and reboots, but I wonder what the longest time has been between original and sequel.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Sorry. I just hate Mrs. Doubtfire with every fiber of my being.

Draft saved Draft deleted