1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MRI problems

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, May 12, 2009.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Last week, I had an MRI done on my knee. The procedure is 25 minutes long and requires you to be absolutely motionless for as long as 8-10 minutes at a time.
    For some reason, I couldn't do that. Even when I thought I wasn't moving, I was moving. The harder I tried not to move, the more I moved. Now they need me to come back in and do it over because three of the five scans were too blurry.
    I'm not even sure if it won't just be a waste of time. It's not as if I'm stupid or incapable for following simple directions (or maybe it is.).
    What can I do to avoid this problem the next time?

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Ask them for a sedative? Maybe a muscle relaxer?

MRIs can make people really nervous, so you might have been shaking without realizing it.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

I find it hard to believe you're the only one, SP. And have them offer some form of help to relax and insure this doesn't happen again. As much as MRIs cost, I would think they'll go out of their way to minimize repetition.

4. I Digress

I Digress Guest

And make sure you're absolutely comfortable before they start. Take music if they don't have it.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Why are you moving? Restless? Uncomfortable?

6. Smallpotatoes

I didn't think I was moving, but the technician said I was.

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

25 minutes for a knee mri? mine was 1 1/2 hours and i had to stay completely still the whole time except for about an our in when they stopped to inject some kind of contrast solution. i'm claustrophobic and suffer from panic attacks but managed to get through it with the help of a 10m valium and a 10m lortab. ask for medication, close your eyes and think happy thoughts, good luck on the next try.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Alcoholic shakes?

9. Smallpotatoes

Don't drink.

10. Gravy Boat

Gravy Boat Member

Jack off in the little private room just before the MRI. It might relax you and make you stay still. And if not, well at least got to jack off in the doctor's office. :)

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Maybe you should start ;)

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Just made me choke on my PB and J.

Draft saved Draft deleted