1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mr. Pot And Mr. Kettle Announce Their Enagagement

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Sep 24, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hondo, the champion of "all opinions are created equal" leaps into the fray to defend the Idiot in Chief

I can't decide what's funnier: the original statement or Hondo's spirited defense.

2. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

Criticizing somebody else's intellect without knowing the context or even seeking it, but not knowing the definition of ironic. That's an example of irony. Hope that helps.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

No it isn't, but thanks for playing our game.

4. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

It's the Democrats who hold black men down. Republicans as a whole simply won't vote for someone they think is liberal because he won't talk openly about his views, which is the approach Powell took when he was considering the race. I suspect many Republicans would have fallen all over themselves to vote for him if he were conservative enough, because they know he could have beaten any Democrat. I know many Republicans would be thrilled to vote for Condi Rice, but she also isn't running.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Alrighty, since Fen, MCbamr, spnited, et al. decided to open up this can o' worms, as the black guy here, I'll offer my two cents: 

Jacky, the large percentage of the population says they would vote for someone regardless of race, but how many will actually vote for that said person?  Saying it is one thing, doing it is quite another.  I don't buy that >50% number.  My old man and grandpa have jokingly said time again that if any black person would run for President, someone will kill them before they ever get the nomination.  Reality is, America has not and will not warm up to the adage of a woman or a minority running this country.  It's a mindset that is hard to break with a large sector of Americans, Republican and Democrat, black and white, man and woman. 

While we're on it, let stay on the topic of the O-Man, Condi, and Colin, along with Al and Jesse.  The C-in-C is not part of this thread. He isn't black.  

Obama's handlers are easing off the accelerator and by thinking that they got Iowa wrapped up, they can rest of their laurels.  Bad move.  He's slipping and he has skipped a few debates in state, thinking that there's no need to show up and continue spending a couple of rounds in the ring with Hillary and Edwards. 

Does he has to prove that he's the guy, Jacky?  Hell yeah, and I agree with your notion that he has to want it.  It's not going to be gift-wrapped to him.  Like Donovan McNabb said, black candidates have to work harder.

On the issue of Powell and Rice, regardless what party they ran under, they would have no chance.  At least in Powell's case.  Condi, from my viewpoint, is someone who would rather be Sect. of State and travel-hop like Henry Kissinger than go through the circus of running for the office.  The international scene is her niche, not making campaign promises.  Powell was and will always be a sexy pick because of what Joe Biden said of Obama:  "an articulate smart black guy." 

In some circles, including those in my hometown, the translation is the following: 

"Biden didn't call him an "articulate black man."  He's calling him a smart n----r, and he's jealous of that."

"Nah, I don't think I can vote for him.  He's too smart to be black.  Does he talk 'black'?" 

"You know how this country is.  They want a black president, but they (rest of America) will be unable to handle the fact that he is their President, as well as ours." 

Regardless if Powell was a Democrat in name only, there will be too much "issues" with him running or being president among us as citizens and voters.  It's hard for Americans to see someone as President who is not the "type" of person they have expected to see for so long.  The same goes for Al and Jesse.  The impression would be that one of those two would fuck up so badly in the White House with their ego-trips, we'll be seeing anarchy all over the place.  

We can dream on, and hope that Obama can have a strong showing, but the reality is that this country have never and will never accept a minority or a woman as President of the United States.  Unless, everyone has the balls to man up and vote for one.  I seriously doubt we will. 

6. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Here's something to think about, D-3. According to the latest census, over 13% of the population is black. Don't know how that compares with the registration figures, but let's say a viable black candidate would encourage registration. And let's say, since the candidate's viable, most black folks would get behind him/her.

There's your base. Expecting high turnout, you don't need 50% of the rest of us to get that good candidate elected.

Give me someone I can vote for, please. Equal to or better than the opposition. Republican or Democrat. I'm all set.

7. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

D-3,
    Are you speaking for all white people?

8. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

Zeke, Play your own games. I'm playing this one.

...2. irony - incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs; "the irony of Ireland's copying the nation she most hated"

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Fair enough, Jacky. I was apprehensive with the numbers. But, besides that, we may be the only two who don't care who the best candidate is, as long as they are competent to do their job. That is all we care about.

Newbie, read the first line of my sentence again. While you're at it and playing your game, go fetch Jacky a beer.

[color-blue]Man, it's hard to be a brother. ::)[/color]

10. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Why would they run a Republican? I dunno, to win maybe? Just look at most of the "Democrats" elected in the last set of congressional races!

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Doesn't help at all.

Try again --in something resembling English

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Forget it, JR.

Dim bulb.

Draft saved Draft deleted