1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mr. Pot And Mr. Kettle Announce Their Enagagement

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Sep 24, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I think Colin Powell would have been elected in 2000 had he run, for either party, much as Eisenhower would have won in '52, for either party.

Powell would have preferable to Bush, quite obviously. But his lack of fortitude during the rush to judgment on Iraq tarnishes the image.

2. And the reasons he didn;t run were a) he knew that a black man wasn't going to get enough votes from the Republican primary base to be nominated, and b) the radical Jeebusites let it be known that they were going to nuke him with any number of tactics, including whispers about his wife's mental health.
    So, no, there being a historical record and all, I don't think Colin Powell could have run as a Republican back then.

3. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

wonder what colin will have to say about things starting around Feb. 1, 2009?

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It was his choice not to run as a Democrat, and IMO he would've cleaned W's clock had he done so.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why, wicked, would the Democrats nominate a Republican?
    And if he ran against Bush, Rove would have launched the most vicious personal attacks you've ever seen.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The all-encompassing liberal formula:

"Intellectual laziness" or "intellectual dishonesty" = people who have the audicity to not think like us.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Or in the case of our Moron in Chief, the inability to think.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Dems wanted to do precisely that in '52, but Ike told 'em, "Nononononono"

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Fixed

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Because his "thinking" has done so well. ::)

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

The next time he thinks will be the first

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I rest my case.

Draft saved Draft deleted