1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mr. Oden is not ready for the NBA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Mar 25, 2007.

1. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

That's a good thing as Lendl couldn't play on grass and Parish couldn't play w/out it.

2. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Amechi never was the player in college during his multiyear stay at Penn State that Oden has been in less than a full season.

3. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Oden will be a journeyman only in that he will journey to the All-Star game every year and to the Olympics every four years. He's got legit post moves, several in fact, he can block shots, hold his position, finish mistakes, crash the lane, etc.

Personally, I think he's at the point now where he tries to be stoic on the court. I've seen him yell after a big shot. The kid cares. I kind of get the feeling he's not impressed with anything he sees or anything he does. I guess he's not impresed with himself by dunking on Carl Landry and Greg Stiemsma.

Will he be the second coming of Bill Russell with Walton's Trail Blazer game? Probably not.
    That being said, he will get nothing out of being in college another year. His teammates rarely look for him, preferring to jack up shots and let him clean up the mess. He's a 7-foot safety blanket for his teammates.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I don't think he will even become Ben Wallace.

5. slowcenter

slowcenter Member

Will you come back on this board and admit your mistake if he ends up being better than Ben?
    And by that, I mean average more than 6.6 points and 10.7 rebounds for his career?

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Here's my prediction:

He'll be better than Kwame Motherfucking Brown.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

It's threads like this that make me understand why some coaches have no patience with some sportswriters.

The best center in college hoops and people want him to stay one more year? As someone else said, it's only the NBA's age rule that kept him at OSU this long. To compare a stiff like Joe Barry Carroll to an athlete like Oden...give me a break.

8. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Here, here. Oden would average that if his right wrist was broken for the rest of his life. Wallace is one of the most overrated players in NBA history right up there with Rodman. Gee a big guy getting lots of rebounds and blocking shots. That's impressive!

And Boots, you're saying Oden needs to work on his game. Does he have to work on his game to get to Amachei or Barry Carroll's level or is he there now? If he needs to work on it to get to their level your girl's crack isn't the only thing you've been smoking.

9. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Will Oden get better in college with the extremely limited practice time he's allotted with coaches? Or the triple coverage he'll get in games?

Only unskilled "athletes" need to stay in college to get some fundamentals to serve as a base for the coaching they get in the league. Darius Miles needed college. Oden does not.

10. boots

boots New Member

You're getting personal but that's to be expected from you melock. Right now, in my opinion, he is where Joe Barry Carroll was. As far as Rodman is concerned, you need to do more research. Rodman could play defense and had hops. He was a human pogo stick. I covered both enough to know how good they were.
    Oden is better than Amechi was at the same time. However, I just don't see the same player in Oden that I saw as a prep star. I know that hurts your feelings but you'll be fine.

11. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Oden has been protecting his wrist all season. I definitely think he has another gear that he'll have no problem going to once he's had time -- time off from basketbal, I mean -- to let it heal to the point he feels comfortable again. Thing is, he actually enjoys college. He might stick around another year just because. It's not like his classes are all that hard, and he can always take out insurance the way Reggie Bush and Willis McGahee did.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

There on people on here who are delusional. That is all.

Draft saved Draft deleted