1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mr. Obama?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jps, Feb 10, 2009.

1. jps

jps Active Member

was watching local news - major metro - and what I assume was a network-fed story on the president's goings-on today, and twice in the vo he was referenced to as "mr. obama." it really struck mrs. jps and me as odd. what's with the mr.? pretty sure he gets to be called president obama, right?

maybe not worth a thread ... just was curious.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Never heard any other president referred to as Mr. So and So.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I've heard references to Mr. Bush -- probably just someone getting used to calling him president. It's like writing the wrong year on your checks. I wouldn't read anything into it.

4. jps

jps Active Member

wasn't really reading anything in other than basic disrespect. how hard is it to refer to him properly? and this isn't a live remote - it's a voice over. someone should catch that, even if the reporter is too stupid to realize what she's said - twice.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

This will turn into a rant about the liberal media and how everyone loves Obama within 15 posts.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I give it eight.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Maybe it was a network piece from the New York Times network.

8. Turns out the o/u was "two."

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I win! I had the under. ::)

Presidents have always been referred to as Mr. by the three major networks, no matter the party. Can't speak for Faux News since I never watch it.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Exactly right. This is far from new.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It's nothing new. Nothing to get riled up about.

12. jps

jps Active Member

not riled up ... hell, didn't even vote for the man. just hadn't heard it before and it really stuck out to me. seems to be, to me, a lack of respect for the office. but maybe I'm just an older man than I thought.

Draft saved Draft deleted