1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mr. Nice Guy Does Not Get the Ladies....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Apr 14, 2010.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/04/14/mr.nice.guy.backlash/index.html?hpt=Sbin

The first 23 years of my life I was a "nice guy" and this was a killer. Then I got a law school roommate who had lived a little (he was 26), who biked everywhere, had no car, no $$ for fancy dinners, yet had the ladies PICKING HIM UP TO FOR A BOOTY CALL. I was blown away. He told me, in his words, "sometimes, you've got to be a little bit of a di*k." Took his words to heart and it was a huge breakthrough for the former "Mr. Nice Guy." (I did not go total Jerk, but simply kept a little edge, don't call back right away, keep some time for one's self etc.)

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

The flip side: Always have been a nice guy. Cost me once or twice in early college, but I found a woman who thinks the suggestion that women want to be treated badly is a disgraceful notion.
    Been happily married to the same gorgeous woman for 27 years.
    Maybe it depends on the class of women you're interacting with.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

The story makes sense - you can be nice and have success at dating. Just don't be a doormat, set some boundaries, don't seem too eager, etc.

Any woman who would rather be with an outright jerk deserves to get treated like shit. Same with a man who prefers to be with a bitch instead of a nice girl. This is coming from a guy who would take Betty over Veronica 100 times out of 100.

4. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Most guys I know who whine or whined about how they didn't get dates despite being a "nice guy" either weren't that nice or had other obvious flaws. One guy I went to college with was seventy pounds overweight and wore the same ill fitting T-shirt with Marvin the Martian on it 1 out of every 3 days. He thought his problem was this "women don't like nice guys" crap too.

Women don't like wimps - it's easy to be nice without being one. They do like guys who dress decently and are in shape, and if you aren't then maybe they aren't the problem.

5. The women of SportsJournalists.com can vouch for me on this, but I suspect that the big problem with "nice guys" isn't that women want "jerks," but that most self-declared "nice guys" come off as whiny, self-absorbed, desperate, and even paternal to women to the point it is downright insulting.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That's kind of what I was getting at. I'll post the entire article, the thread title is a bit extreme, its not about not being a nice guy.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Anyone who pays those idiots for that advice isn't a nice guy, he's a sucker.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Look where it got Not

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Women should run from someone described as a "nice guy" as fast men run from women described as having a "nice personality."

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

To ring true for someone else, you have to be true to yourself, no matter what shape you're in or which Martian T-shirt you wear

11. Petrie

Petrie Guest

True to yourself *can* mean washing the damn thing every once in a while, though...

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

"You look ravenous today, Mrs. Cleaver."

Draft saved Draft deleted