1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Mr. Commissioner"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dignan, May 16, 2007.

1. Dignan

Dignan Guest

Anyone catch Dan Patrick's interview with David Stern today?

Dan calls him "Mr. Commissioner" or "Commissioner" throughout, as if the head of a pro basketball league's title should be respected on par with the president of the United States or something. Mr. Stern isn't enough? Can't call the guy David?

Reminded of the Seinfeld episode in which the guy Elaine is dating demands to be called "maestro."

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Because Dan Patrick, like everybody else on ESPN, is an ass-kissing panderer wehn dealing with one of their "partnerrs."

Other than games themselves, there is nothing worth watching on ESPN or listening to on ESPN radio.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Second that. Just stick with the live programming, can't go wrong with that.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Mike & The Mad Dog do the same thing, although the tone of their interviews indicate a dick-slapping good time.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Did you listen to the interview? I thought Patrick went quite hard at him.
    I do agree for the most part about the ass kissing but I don't think this is one of those situations.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If Stern is "Commissioner," what do you call the presidents of the AL and NL?

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Nothing, there are no AL and NL presidents anymore.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You are no fun.

9. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Heard the entire interview and I was thrilled Stern fought back, or "wrestled" with him as he was fond of saying.
    Dan was asking some tough questions but at the same time, he came off as pushing an agenda and not backing down from it - punishing marquee players vs. bit players.
    It made for entertaining radio, IMO.

10. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

The only way the NBA saves face is by ordering the refs to call fouls on Duncan, Parker and Manu -- and tossing Bowen -- for so such offenses as sweating on the court, to take away that definite edge it wrought. (Hey. Remember the conspiricy theories of NBA past! It can happen!).

I hope the Phoenix fans behind the Spurs' bench tonight are rowdy and dangerous -- and security looks the other way.

That and the Suns hire John Cheney and Tonya Harding as a "consultant" coaches for one night.

11. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Thought Stern was unnecessarily testy. And he contradicted himself.

While explaining the Suns' suspensions, he insisted that there is no room for interpretation of the leave the bench rule . Then, in response to Patrick asking why Duncan wasn't penalized for leaving bench earlier, he explained that it was determined that Duncan didn't have malicious intent. Isn't that an interpretation of the rule?

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Well, dick WILL make you slap somebody.

Draft saved Draft deleted