1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mr. 9/11

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Nov 19, 2007.

1. The great Rudy moment in the Dorismond incident was when, in the course of smearing the dead guy and releasing his sealed juvie record, America's Mayor said, "This guy was no altar boy" when Dorismond had been, you know, an altar boy.
    Crazy, crazy fuck.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Dorismond, in fact, went to the same Catholic school Rudy had.

And despite the court ruling that the shooting was accidental, the City settled the Dorismond family's wrongful death suit for $2.3 mill.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

But the squeegee men are all in Perth Amboy now, so it's safe to come to the Hershey Store in Times Square.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Just don't jaywalk. Otherwise, NYPD will run you in.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

"But officer, I bought M&Ms at the M&Ms Store!"

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

well, at least 3. Which one did Rudy beat?

7. heyabbott

http://samoa.istat.it/Eventi/sicurezza/relazioni/Langan_rel.pdf Bureau of Justice Statistic, US DOJ

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Look, Rudy did a very good job as mayor, far better than that hack Dinkins or that clown Koch. He had the balls to take steps to improve day to day living in the city, which, along with the concurrent economic boom, improved the town greatly in many respects. He had a huge ego and a Schumer-esqe love for the TV cameras, but that never bothered me. And while the way that he treated his wife won't win him any awards, it is pretty ireelevant to me as long as he got the job as mayor done.

My arguments against him were that he was often petty and vindictive, going out of his way to alienate when there was no need to do so. He was absolutely hated by the time that 9/11 came around. His black and white way of looking at things seem far more dangerous in Iran as opposed to Washington Heights.

Was he heroic on that day? I guess -- he made himself the face of the tragedy and projected leadership. I thought at the time that he was a little too eager for the spotlight, but at the time it was reassuring. But what exactly did he DO? Prior to the event, he certainly did two things wrong -- first, he placed the command center in the wrong place (which really didn't turn out to be too big of a deal). Second, and more importantly, he never settled the pissing match between police and fire on emergency response. At a minimum, this led to chaos on 9/11. At worst, it led to the deaths of a lot of firefighters on 9/11 who didn't know that the north tower might fall and who had time to get out.

Personally, I'm disgusted as to how he's exploited the tragedy for his own gain. Whether it was trying to extend his mayoral term, his "thank God that W. is our president line" at the GOP convention (if he actually said that, I'll write a check to his campaign) or his reference of everything in his stump speech to 9/11 (calls from his wife, gun control).

What I don't get is how his actions on that day would help him as our President.

9. I imagine if we ever get a look at the Giuliani Partners client list, we're going to see how rich exploiting 3000 dead people really has made him.

10. heyabbott

Can we get the minutes of the Wal-Mart Board of Directors meetings when Senator Clinton was on the board? Did she express concern about purchasing goods from sweat shop labor camps in China? Exporting American jobs so a pair of socks can be sold for 1.48 instead of 1.84?

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Fair point, but wouldn't you agree they are/were in slightly different position with the respective organizations?

And I don't begrudge Rudy his right to exploit 9/11 for all that he can to make some cash. He did spend the majority of his career in the public sector.

12. heyabbott

At the time Senator Clinton was with Wal-Mart she was 1st Lady of Arkansas. I'm sure the desire to put her on the Board of Arkansas' largest corporation had something to do with her connection to public politics.

It's fair to judge Guillani on his private sector relationships, after all the Bush family is servile to Saudi Arabia because of private dealings and Reagan was paid off by foreign governments after his term of office. Who donated to President Clinton's library? Will they get cozy dealing with Hillary?

It's all open for debate, each of them. The problem with some is that the file is mighty thin with lightweights like Obama

Draft saved Draft deleted