1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MP3 player question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by melock, May 6, 2007.

1. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Alright I just bought the SanDisk. I have a question about it before I open it though. It says it you should subscribe to playsforfuture. Is that like iTunes to an iPod? Or can I use any music I've downloaded and put it on the SanDisk? I've used 360sharepro which is kind of like limewire.

2. Of course, you can download songs from iTunes and then burn them on a disk and put them on another mp3 player -- at least, I think you can, can't you?

3. You know The Beatles will be on there since they settled that lawsuit, right?

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Anyone have an answer for this?

5. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Do you mean playsforsure, not playsforfuture?

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

my bad.....is that the only program it works with?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

check out this one on woot that popped up tonight...

http://www.woot.com/default.aspx

8. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Oh boy, where to start.

First, a confession. I'm a geek and an IPod lover. There's been a Shuffle, a Nano and a 30-gig in my house. Before those I've had a Rio (good) and a Lyra (awful).

First, you can use ITunes with any mp3 player, no problem at all so long as you're not buying songs from Apple - though if you burn those songs to a CD and then re-rip them back to ITunes in mp3 format, you get around the problem. Most players act like a disk which you can drag and drop files onto. You can drag songs right from ITunes right onto your mp3 player in this manner.

Next, any music player will play mp3 files. Most will play at least one other format as well. Where you get the songs from only matters if they're copyright protected (such as songs you'd buy off of ITunes). All playsforsure is is a Microsoft-based attempt to force you to use protected wma (Windows Media Audio) files on the device and sell you subscriptions to music. Whatever floats your boat, I guess, but you do not need to use it to play music on your device.

Oh, and one big reason ITunes sucks, even though I love it and will likely never use anything else: I can't burn CD's from ITunes due to the fact it's never supported the CD burner I own. That means I can never burn songs I buy from the ITunes store. Which is also why I've only ever bought two songs from said store and will continue downloading via Limewire until that problem is addressed and fixed by the fine folks at Apple.

--end rant... I feel like I just wrote a piece for Pierre Bernard's Recliner of Rage...

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

It is inferior software. If I don't have to use some program to copy files for me, I would much rather do it myself. I don't like that it loads itself and sucks up memory resources when I don't have it loaded.

iTunes is the one reason why I won't purchase an iPod.

Personally, I hate Apple's use of the letter "i" in front of their product names. But that wouldn't prevent me from purchasing something.

You do not need to use playsforfuture. You can simply use the Windows Explorer. Just install the drivers.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I had a first generation Ipod that got stolen, so I replaced it with the third generation a few years ago (before the photo/video iPods). The thing broke. It was pretty obvious that the hard drive just went bad, because the thing wasn't spinning at all. From what I understand, unless you have the mini or the nano, which use a microdrive (smart media--no moving parts), IPods break down from all the usage, especially if you exercise with them. The spinning hard drive can only take so much jostling. But this thing had served me well. It's not tiny, but it's small enough for me. I still can exercise with it in a thing on my arm, and I don't need video or bells and whistles. I just want to listen to music.

I didn't have the extended plan. I went on Apple's website, typed in the serial number and it told me the thing was out of warranty, so I was SOL. But then I pulled out my receipt and it looked like I had a few DAYS left on the one-year warranty. I had to walk thing into an Apple store, which was a ridiculous experience. I showed up in the morning and they gave me an appointment at 10 p.m. that night. And even then, I ended up having to wait a half hour to see the feller at the "genius bar." But the awesome thing was that I pulled out the receipt, showed it to him and he replaced the thing no questions asked. I had 5 days left on the warranty.

I can't remember what the deal was, but there was still a charge to execute the warranty... And it would only buy you 30 days more of warranty. The alternative was to buy the extended plan, which gave me another year of warranty and it wasn't that much more than the charge I was going to have to pay anyhow. It was a no-brainer. But I think it was the difference between paying something like $40 or $50 for the replacement with one-year of warranty on it, or buying a new iPod for $300--which I was all prepared to do if the warranty wasn't good anymore, because I was freaking out. I walk to a lot of places and have the thing with me all the time. I can't run or exercise without it.

I still have that same iPod and abuse the hell out of it. I'm thinking it's about due to break down soon. My feeling is that my $300 for an iPod should buy me two to three years. I can live with that and will gladly invest in a new one on that kind of schedule. Apple's earned that from me.

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

thanks for all the help

12. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Alright I bought a SanDisk. How do I get a song to stop playing w/o turning off the player?

Draft saved Draft deleted