1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MP3 player question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by melock, May 6, 2007.

1. melock

melock Active Member

I'm thinking about buying an MP3 player, but I'm kind of oblivious to what's what. I don't want to spend a ton so an iPod is out. They have a Sony Walkman 1GB player at Circuit City for $40. It holds up to 685 songs and has gotten good customer reviews. Anyone have experience with this brand and if so good or bad? And should I buy an added protection plan?

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I do not have experience with Sony MP3 players, but if you are apt to be using it during exercise such as running or biking, I would suggest the protection plan.

3. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I had a Creative Zen Micro which I loved until it inexplicably stopped working one day.

4. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

If the thing costs $40, is it really worth buying the protection plan?

5. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

If it costs $10, why not spend that so you don't have to spend another $40 if it breaks?

6. melock

melock Active Member

It's $20 for a 2-year plan and $40 for a two-year plus plan.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

By which point you might want something bigger/better anyway.

8. melock

melock Active Member

That's what I was thinking. You think I should go regular plan or plus plan for another $20?

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Why would you even consider buying a $40 protection plan for a $40 mp3 player?

Even the $20 one is a massive waste of money. It should come with some level of warranty anyway.

10. melock

melock Active Member

That's why I'm here; I'm oblivious about MP3 players. It comes with a 12-month warranty on parts, 3-month on labor.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My main point is, the $40 protection plan would cost the same as the mp3 player. In other words, you could buy a new one if it breaks and it wouldn't cost you any more.

Even the $20 one is half the cost of the player, and players like that are getting cheaper and better. I wouldn't spend nearly that much on a plan for an item that inexpensive. (And honestly, I've never paid for a protection plan for something like that, and I've never regretted the decision.)

12. melock

melock Active Member

You make many good points. Ever have a Sony MP3 player?

Draft saved Draft deleted