1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MP3 player question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by melock, May 6, 2007.

1. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about buying an MP3 player, but I'm kind of oblivious to what's what. I don't want to spend a ton so an iPod is out. They have a Sony Walkman 1GB player at Circuit City for $40. It holds up to 685 songs and has gotten good customer reviews. Anyone have experience with this brand and if so good or bad? And should I buy an added protection plan?

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I do not have experience with Sony MP3 players, but if you are apt to be using it during exercise such as running or biking, I would suggest the protection plan.

3. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I had a Creative Zen Micro which I loved until it inexplicably stopped working one day.

4. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

If the thing costs $40, is it really worth buying the protection plan?

5. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

If it costs $10, why not spend that so you don't have to spend another $40 if it breaks?

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

It's $20 for a 2-year plan and $40 for a two-year plus plan.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

By which point you might want something bigger/better anyway.

8. melock

melock Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking. You think I should go regular plan or plus plan for another $20?

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Why would you even consider buying a $40 protection plan for a $40 mp3 player?

Even the $20 one is a massive waste of money. It should come with some level of warranty anyway.

10. melock

melock Well-Known Member

That's why I'm here; I'm oblivious about MP3 players. It comes with a 12-month warranty on parts, 3-month on labor.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My main point is, the $40 protection plan would cost the same as the mp3 player. In other words, you could buy a new one if it breaks and it wouldn't cost you any more.

Even the $20 one is half the cost of the player, and players like that are getting cheaper and better. I wouldn't spend nearly that much on a plan for an item that inexpensive. (And honestly, I've never paid for a protection plan for something like that, and I've never regretted the decision.)

12. melock

melock Well-Known Member

You make many good points. Ever have a Sony MP3 player?

Draft saved Draft deleted