1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moyers On PBS

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fenian_Bastard, Apr 25, 2007.

1. See Joe - this is more proof of how CNN crumbles to report things so that they align with what the Bush Administration wished. CNN reported that Donahue was canned because of low ratings.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/TV/02/25/donahue.ap/index.html

2. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Oh, and Harry Reid has visited Iraq, which can be learned with a 30-second Google search.

Probably why nobody has asked that question.

3. "a difficult public face for NBC in a time of war ... He seems to delight in presenting guests who are anti-war, anti-Bush and skeptical of the administration's motives."

From a (rather famous) internal NBC News memo. Not all about ratings, I guess.

4. Can you provide me a link because when I do a search - I can't find anything that says he's ever been to Iraq.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

And as we speak, more letters to the editor chiding Reid for his defeatist attitude.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070426/OPINION04/704260383/1072/OPINION

What the heck is wrong with people here?

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Good to see Joe Rossi is still around. The thing that bugs me about the program is that almost all of the people involved in the deception pols and journos who have been proven wrong haven't only NOT been held accountable, but MOST have thrived. How can a pundit be so wrong on something and still be presented as a credible viewpoint. FOX, MSNBC, CNN are still using the same spinmeisters. Don't get me started on Hume's FOX All-Stars. This war may have been the greatest public relations campaign in history, manufacturing "conventional wisdom." Hey Joe - is Billie still married to that baseball coach?

7. Just a devastating expose on the media. I guess I'll have to add NBC to the list of those outlets not to be trusted.

Fenian - how do you think Bush/Cheney was able to so deftly use the media? Was the media lazy or just plain stupid?

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think they keep rolling out the same heads because in punditry no-one ever has to say I was wrong.

Generally, people forget the statements that come out of a lot of pundits mouths the day after they're said. In a way there's so much of it, it becomes a kind of white noise, and turns people off finding out what is actually going on.

Chris, I don't think Bush/Cheney had to do anything to the media. Everyone was so keen on being seen as patriotic, they were falling over themselves to pump up the administration.

9. Predicting the future is tough. Take Mel Kiper - he's famous as the NFL draft expert but every year his pre-draft predictions are 95% wrong. Heck - among NFL analysts - only Joe Theisman was able to pick the Super Bowl winner pre-season correctly the past 3 years running. That doesn't make Theisman the best NFL analyst in the world though.

10. But Moyers painted the deception as a Bush sales job. Surely you are not saying Moyers was wrong or using hyperbole to make his program more interesting?

11. The deception was a Bush -- and Cheney, and Rumsfeld, and Powell, and Rice, and Feith, and Libby, and OSP, and WHIG -- sales job. Surely, that's not debatable any more, is it?
    Of course, it is.
    Bush Dead-End Syndrome has a long shelf-life.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Sure, they used hyperbole as it went on, but to start off with no-one wanted to question the administration for fear of being seen as unpatriotic. Once the press corps was in that nice little groove, the admin kept them locked in by reminding them that any bad words would hurt the country.

Remember the whole Bill Maher "cowardly" flap? It was loose lips sink ships and all that, except now if you spoke out you weren't giving away ship locations, you were on the side of the terrorists. And no-one wanted to be painted in that light.

Draft saved Draft deleted