1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Mar 4, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I don't have a bunch of stuff. Instead of hiring a moving company, I'm thinking of just shipping a couple boxes through the mail or UPS and having them sent to a nearby relative's house.

Anyone ever shipped something massive through the mail? How expensive are rates for larger items?

2. Why can't you put the boxes in your car/truck?

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Small, small car. I'll put most of the stuff in the car. (Not taking any furniture.) And I don't wanna rent a U-Haul.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Depends how big and heavy the boxes are. You might have to ship them via a regular (non UPS) carrier.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I dunno how far you're moving, but it may be cheaper to just get a truck. Heavy boxes can add up quickly with UPS or the USPS.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

We went camping for a week and then drove to my wife's high school reunion. We didn't want to arrive looking like Ma and Pa Joad with the car jampacked with shit, so we mailed the tent, sleeping bags, air mattresses, cooking gear, etc., back to our house. I think it cost us around $50. It arrived home long after we did.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

And stuff could get lost easily - like my XBox.
    Never, ever use UPS. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

8. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Moving. Sucks.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

had a good friend move from the west coast to the east coast mostly using the mail method. he sent his shit via "book rate?" or something like that. it cost him just a few bucks, although it took a month to get his stuff.

10. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Yes, "book rate." Way cheaper, but slow. For mailing books and other such weighty stuff.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks irish. i know he used that and he darned near completely moved for less than $150, but then again, he was single his home was pretty baren.

12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

just rent an Explorer or something and drive your stuff there over the weekend. Might turn out cheeper with the weekend rates a lot of car places offer. Plus, you get your stuff when u want it.

Draft saved Draft deleted