1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving Vans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by newgrad2008, Sep 3, 2008.

1. joe

joe Active Member

Exactly. Just like I said on another thread: You don't own your stuff, it owns you.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yup. I agreed with that statement then and now. It's fine to own stuff, but when you let it own you, you invite problems and complications.

Life can be complicated enough. Not to mention making a few hundred dollars back for having others clean up your life. Truly addition by subtraction.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Pack light and move fast. U-Haul works but they do charge your credit card for the max before giving it back to you four days later. You have been warned.

4. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

UHaul sucks. There always making me drive to some podunk town 40 miles away to pick up the equipment. And they give me a truck that's twice as big as my reservation, thus costing me lots more gas money. Also, one of their trucks started rolling toward me when I had it in park (on a nearly flat surface) and was standing in front of the truck.

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

My neighbor used a U-haul to move back home to finish college. Helped her load all morning and she takes off. About a half hour later it breaks down, takes all day to get a replacement, move the stuff onto a new truck and proceed. So yeah, U-Haul blows.

6. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

The only problem with this is if you're moving with furniture. I moved 700 miles with an over-sized desk, a three-quarter-sized bed, a dining room table with two chairs and a bookshelf.

Thankfully, my dad did all of the U-Hauling. I drove 1,700 miles in two days by myself so I could apartment-hunt while he was about a day behind me when I moved to Kentucky. He didn't have any problems (and this is when it pays to have a truck).

The easiest way is the way we moved from Texas to Kansas: have you truck-driver relatives bring the semi on down and then, all you have to do is reimburse gas. ;D

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I will never even consider Budget again after the experience we had recently. We made a truck reservation weeks in advance for a 300-mile move. Go to pick it up, and... no truck. And absolutely no help in finding one for us.

We went down the street to U-Haul and they were surprisingly good. For one, they actually had a truck to rent. They matched Budget's price and the truck didn't break down or anything.

After we'd picked up the U-Haul, someone from Budget corporate called to let us know our options for picking up a truck from them. I told him what they could do with the truck.

I've gone with Penske before and have been very pleased. However, on this move their rate was twice what anyone else's was.

Draft saved Draft deleted