1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving Vans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by newgrad2008, Sep 3, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The U-Haul can pull your vehicle.

2. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Have moved several times and the most recent move involved a 24-foot U-Haul moving truck and I was super pleased with everything. Only thing I wasn't fond of was sweeping out the truck after a full day of moving furniture. Couldn't they sweep it out?!

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

sure, for a price

4. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Used Budget about a month ago for my move. Truck ran well and I never had an issue with it, despite driving it in heat of August for 13 hours, including a stint in West Virginia.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm sure the "stint" has continued on in WV, hasn't it?

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

U-Haul sucks donkey innards. Go with Penske for a long move, Budget for a shorter one.

And somebody needs to start putting power mirrors on those damn things. I am so tired of faith-based lane changes.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Left-hand turns at two-way stops are the best.

8. jps

jps Active Member

echoed .... budget.

though never done the deal where they move it for you. seems a waste to me. yes, it's annoying to box, pack, unpack, unbox, but it's part of the deal. and if a day of back-and-forth saves a few hundred? well worth it.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I usually enlist a couple of bodies to help me out in exchange for a pizza, beer and, most importantly, my company. Works every time.

10. jps

jps Active Member

other than beer and pizza pay tends to, at times, not be enough to treat the 'fragiles' fragilly.

driving the thing is a bitch, but you've gotta drive wherever you're going, anyway, unless you let them move it and you fly there. which, yes, easier. but not too cost-effective.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Penske will also (or did) give you a AAA discount.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Cull your stuff. I repeat, cull your stuff.

It doesn't have to be extreme ... to the point where it only fits in a passenger vehicle. But look through and notice the stuff you're lugging around, that has little to no sentimental value and has just become a lot of crap.

I would still need a moving vehicle, but now just a small one. A bonus would be a four-wheel trailer on which to load my everyday vehicle.

Draft saved Draft deleted