1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving Vans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by newgrad2008, Sep 3, 2008.

1. newgrad2008

newgrad2008 New Member

I'm getting ready to move for my job, and I need some moving van advice.

Has anyone ever used We Haul Moving or Budget Van Lines?

I looked up reviews online but all I could find were people complaining about moving companies as a whole.

Thanks.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You're a new grad and you have enough stuff that it won't just fit in a U-Haul?

3. joe

joe Active Member

U-Haul is expensive as shit. ABF U-Pack is the way to go if you don't have much stuff, either at the front of a trailer or in one of those cubes they drop off at your place. Much cheaper than U-Haul.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Budget worked well for me.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sheesh, I just helped someone pack a Ryder truck. She was moving to Fresno. Based on the rates I see on U-Haul and Budget, she paid about $1,500 - $1,800!

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My U-Haul horror story involved two breakdowns, 16 hours of waiting for road service and, ultimately, a tow truck towing the f*cking thing to my new place. Never, ever again (not that I could anyway, got too much crap).

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Assuming you're moving to a city ABF U-Pack serves. If not, you're SOL. Same for PODS --- it ain't everywhere.

Budget Truck Rental is what used to be Ryder's yellow trucks. They tend to have newer equipment than U-Haul does. So does Penske. Enterprise also rents fairly new box trucks. I believe any of those companies is cheaper than U-Haul.

@TSP: Not everybody has a vehicle that can tow a U-Haul trailer. Some people that do have a vehicle that can tow a U-Haul trailer run into another problem: the vehicle they have is a Ford Explorer, which U-Haul refuses to have associated with its equipment after Firestone Tires Explodergate a few years ago.

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

u-haul has a big advantage on the height of the trucks, being the only one i'm aware of where the loading door is lower than dock height. trust me, your back will know the difference. have never had a problem with cost of u-haul or with bad equipment.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Compare prices sometime. :)

And the loading-dock-height trucks have extendable loading ramps.

10. newgrad2008

newgrad2008 New Member

The Budget Vanlines I was considering using is a full-service mover. I have a two bedroom apartment full of stuff and am moving far enough from my family to have to do the move myself. I've used Budget trucks for in-town moves, but haven't used a full-service mover before.

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

That's what mine had and it worked out fine.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've got a story very similar to that. U-Haul sucks. Go with Budget if you can.

Draft saved Draft deleted