1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving to Florida: HELP!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bostonbred, Dec 22, 2007.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

We don't have ice. Once every 29 years we have snow flurries.

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

bostonbred,

I'd like to vouch for Sarasota/Bradenton, where I grew up, but COL is killer there. Still, that and Davie/Plantation would be my reccomendations. Not in the big city, but close enough to enjoy 'em.

Tampa Bay (Sarasota to Clearwater) and South Florida are the best bets for a Nor'east'ner, culturally speaking. There are quite a few rednecks down here.

There is nothing within a 45-minute drive on I-4 because it is perpetually under construction.

5. well, duh. Read it again.

I'm not saying ice storms in Upstate South Carolina are worse than in NY. I'm saying it's tougher to drive down south after even the most measly ice storm because in NY they actually clear the roads to a driveable degree. SC doesn't have the equipment or know-how to clear the roads. It's a sheet of ice. What's worse is no one knows how to drive on ice down here.

I've driven in both. We once had a small ice storm down here and I was the only person to make it to work on time that morning, driving through the ice. I beat the next person by a couple of hours so I got stuck with writing the online story.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I can't fathom living someplace without snow, but to each their own.

7. patchs

patchs Active Member

I just spent a few days in South Fla. and as much as I loved the weather, I'd rather stay in my frigid area, heck of a lot less crime, less expensive cost of living and no threat of hurricanes, drought or wild fires.
    I love visiting my family and friends there but at heart, I'm a Northeasterner.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

As for the Bradenton/Sarasota area, you can still get a 'needs work' home in a questionable neighborhood for under $200,000.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Screw south Florida. Panhandle, all the way, baby.

From Pensacola to Apalachicola can't be beat.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

The Redneck Riviera?

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yeah, and double wides are plentiful for extended stays. :D

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted