1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving to Florida: HELP!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bostonbred, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I can think of about 12 dozen... South Florida is nice, but you better be rich as hell to live there... Tampa isn't bad... I visited some relatives in Pensacola once and thought it was beautiful... Two months later their home was destroyed by a hurricane... Tallahassee and Gainesville are shitholes, Jacksonville may be the worst big city in the country, Orlando is nauseatingly crawling with tourists. In a lot of the other cities, if you're under 50 you'll be the town whippersnapper.

If I had to rank all 50 states by where I would most like to live, Florida would be about 40th.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

For many people --- myself included --- "winter" means one thing . . . it's too cold to pursue my favorite hobbies that make life as enjoyable as possible. It also means dealing with questions such as these: 1. Will my car start? 2. Are the streets safe to drive on?

Removing winter from the equation solves all these problems.

Of course, the country has been migrating south for about half a century. And it's funny, the Canadians who spend time in my state always seem to do it in winter. Maybe your question should be directed toward them, eh?

3. pallister

pallister Guest

The area I live in doesn't need any more Patriots or Red Sox fans.

And it's impossible to get into the Christmas spirit when it's 75 and sunny.

4. I wasn't aware the Christmas spirit had anything to do with weather.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I take exception to your comment about Gainesville. Although that's probably because compared with other Florida cities it seems sort of authentic and not so strip-mallish.

Can't really dispute much else.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The UF campus isn't bad. The town surrounding it is a shithole.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I thought your brain was encased in permafrost.

Now I know it.

8. I live in the Fort Lauderdale area too, and it has everything I want although the cost of housing has gone through the roof the past few years. If you are looking to buy a place, you can get good deals right now. You want to rent, you're looking at $1000 for a one-bedroom just about anywhere decent in the area.

9. You can have winter without snow.

10. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

That sounds good to me.

I've been in two separate car accidents just this year, both due to ice and neither my fault. I missed work a few days back because my car was unmovable, absolutely buried in snow and AAA only allows four visits per year. Unlike most of my friends I hate skiing and snowboarding. Even being outside and walking around the city in this weather is tough for me (I get sick easy and my body aches in the cold) and I'm the type of guy who loves the outdoors, things like fishing, swimming, canoing, and bike riding. I often become depressed and irritable in the dreary winter months and even go tanning at my gym because it makes me feel better.

What it comes down to is I have to go where I'll be happiest. Life's too short not to. I have quite a few friends and family members down there already, can probably find a better job than the one I hold now, and plan on living near the water, which I love the idea of. It's a win-win for me, especially since I will be staying with family while looking for an apartment and getting accustomed to the state. I will also be attending college in the autumn...any suggestions on that issue? I'm leaning towards the University of Miami.

11. If that's your only reason for coming down, you may want to stay where you are. I'm only a state away from Fla., and we still have some very icy winters. The difference between where I am and say, Buffalo, NY., is the city of Buffalo knows how to clear ice. Southern cities haven't the faintest idea how to clear ice, so we're actually driving on it.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

LOL...

You don't see lake-effect shitstorms like at yesterday's Giants game in Georgia or Alabama.

Draft saved Draft deleted