1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving to Florida: HELP!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bostonbred, Dec 22, 2007.

1. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Well, finally the consistently bitter New England winters have done me in. The day after Christmas I will be leaving for Florida (for a variety of reasons, but lack of snow in FL is one) to search for a place with a few others. I'm not sure which part of the state I should look into.

Ideally, the location would be south of Tampa and north of Miami, near some water, good sized town or city that has somewhat affordable renting available, and a solid nightlife and things to do with not too much crime.

Any help or advice would be appreciated, Florida SJ's!

2. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

You're leaving in four days and you don't even know what part of the state you're moving to?

3. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I have some family to stay with in West Palm Beach until I find a place of my own.

4. Well, BB, since your Red Sox train in Fort Myers, is that too obvious a suggestion?

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Key West has an opening, or did have one recently.

6. I think the "somewhat affordable rentng" rules out Key West.

7. frozen tundra

frozen tundra Member

West Palm's not a bad option. Has some night life, has some good bars (O'Shea's and Roxy's are two of my and Mrs. Tundra's favorites), has two spring training teams (well, the Marlins may not actually count), is close to Miami and Fort Lauderdale without actually being in either one of them. You're also close to Marlins games, complete with heat stroke; close to Dolphins games, just bring your own paper bag to put on your head; close to Heat games, with plenty of tickets available right now; ditto, Panthers in the NHL.

Plus, West Palm's right on the ocean and the intracoastal, with a lot of golf courses around.

That being said, me and the missus would love to leave the area soon. Want to buy a house?

8. That was quite an endorsement. :D

9. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Lived three years in Orlando and bitched the whole time I was there. Moving to Oregon made me miss Orlando terribly, though.

I actually loved living there, but I was so cynical that all I could do was point out the negatives.

That said, tourists drive like Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles in a drag race. The love bugs are a pain in the ass, too.

That said, there was ALWAYS something to do. I got to swim in the Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico (which is warm as bath water). I got to see Spring Training games out the wazoo (tons of autographs, too). I got to go to Tampa, St. Pete, tour the weather center in Melbourne, drive down to Key West. I got to party all night at Church Street Station and a couple of other places in town.

And the best thunderstorms in the world, bar none.

One warning: You will have to pay $400 per vehicle to bring a car into the state. My company that relocated us didn't want to have to pay the fees, so they offered us $250 for every vehicle we sold. I sold both beaters for $1,000 each, took the $500 and bought a nice car.

10. frozen tundra

frozen tundra Member

I've been in a few different cities in Florida for a total of 12 years. I'm grudgingly beginning to enjoy it, sort of. It has its benefits, but plenty of drawbacks, too.

And recently there was a survey that showed one in five Floridians was ready to leave the state. Thanks go to hurricanes, ridiculous property insurance and low-paying jobs.

Enjoy!

11. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Fort Myers is on the list of places to scope out. So is Sarasota and a few locations closer to Miami. I also have some friends in Port St. Lucie who have been urging me to give it a look. Right now, I'm kind of in a "rut" so I'm hoping a fresh change of scenery, warmer weather with plenty to do, and a different approach and outlook on things will help.

And I'm kind of excited that I can see the Sox (in Tampa) more often. Then again, it IS Tropicana Field so it's hard to get too pumped. I also will be attending WrestleMania for the second straight year at the Citrus Bowl in Orlando this spring. Atleast it'll be warmer than Detroit!

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I happen to know someone who works at the Fort Myers paper. But you have to know how to spell Superbowl.

Draft saved Draft deleted