1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving to Europe (???)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MrMojave, Sep 18, 2006.

1. MrMojave

MrMojave Member

So the wife has decided she may want to get her PhD in Europe, specifically Ireland or Scotland.

This leaves me with two unenviable choices - Move to Europe for six years or stay here without her for that time - if she gets accepted and chooses to go (and you can bet how I'm hoping on that one).

So, the question is, what the heck is there to do over there employmentwise?

My preconception is that my use of the English language and journalistic writing style would definitely lock me out of sportswriting and probably keep me from any journalism altogether. That leaves me with... driving taxis?

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Travel writing as a freelancer.

And there's always NFL Europe.

3. Male prostitute?
    It worked for Deuce Bigelow ...

Oh, no wait.... That movie bombed.

Maybe there's an opening for a Scottish Soccer Hooligan?

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Wow - married and living on separate continents? That's an option - seriously?

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

You might want to PM American Eagle in London--I'm sure he'd have some ideas for you besides bagpipe repair or haggis stuffer.

And at least in London, it takes at least two years of study before you can drive a taxi.

6. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

I've always wondered why there aren't more British/European members here on SportsJournalists.com...

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Can't speak to England, but took a hard look at Prague once. But mostly because a former significant other was serious about Prague.
    You have some English-language papers all over the place. But the competition for those gigs is pretty intense. You'd be surprised how many early buyouts decided it would be great to live and work in Europe.
    The good thing is that if you can do page design, you can do page design at a European paper. Quark or InDesign are the programs of choice here and there.
    If you are a Gannett hand, I think you can also transfer to the G's properties in England.
    And while I can't speak for England. The Prague Post, for example, doesn't pay much, but cost-of-living is so low, you don't need as much money as you might think.

8. el penguino

el penguino New Member

A fellow alum from my school went to Europe after graduation and ended up building a pretty extensive business primarily by freelancing for American newspapers and magazines and English-language press there (such as the Prague Post, I believe?).

Essentially, he seemed to carve out a niche by going places professional journalists weren't and poking around tiny towns in former Soviet republics and the like. Even he admits it wasn't always easy, but I imagine that's an option ...

9. Freelancing in Europe worked pretty well for that Hemingway guy.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

There are newspapers galore in Europe, but I hope you know soccer, rugby and, if it is Prague, know your hockey!

Remember too that golf is played in Europe, NFL Europe (as stated above), tennis, auto racing, etc. are all sports that could land you freelancing gigs for American newspapers and those overseas that have an English language edition.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if my wife decided to uproot and move to scotland-ireland without asking or caring about my 2 cents? ...

veto it on your end chief and do what you have to do.

12. ogre

ogre Member

From what I understand the tough part will be getting a work visa. Living in Ireland or Scotland would not be a bad deal, IMO. I spent a semester at St. Andrews and enjoyed it for the most part. I understand four months is a far cry from six years, but it could be worse. As a guy that is currently without a job that I love to death, it is easier to consider such a monumental move.

As for the wee-fay situation, that is not for me to comment about.

Draft saved Draft deleted