1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving to DC ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Too late. Northern Shenandoah Valley's gotten ridiculous as an exburb already. Maybe Caroline County? Charlestown, WV? Ashland?

2. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Be wary of any place on the Metro Green Line (though, like Headbutt said, some areas are definitely improving)

3. boots

boots New Member

I love DC for everything both good and bad. But i'll tell you this, if you can deal with the commute and it's nto a big deal, move as close to Baltimore as possible. The rent will be considerably cheaper and you may learn to enjoy your time in Chocolate City. (Wasn't a racist term ladies and gents. George Clinton named it a few decades ago and if it's good for George, it's damn good for boots)!

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Spend every last nickel you've got and move to Bethesda. A beautiful city with a great downtown. Then have late night breakfast at the Tasty Diner (great spot.)

5. Perry White

Silver Spring is the new Bethesda, and has its own Tastee Diner

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Silver Spring is to Bethesda what AAA is to the big leagues, in terms of everything.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I've always heard great things about Suitland. ;)

8. Perry White

But it has parking :)

9. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Another thought - Charles and Calvert counties in Maryland, and even Frederick County (north) has become a Washington suburb. Still a commute, though, but commuting into D.C. is normal. A former coach I had in high school lived on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and her husband commuted 75 minutes each way to his job in D.C.

Yet as for housing costs in the D.C. area, expect nothing but astronomical.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I don't know, folks. I am seeing some reasonable prices even in NW. Granted, these places are about the size of my closet. I will have to drive up there to get a feel for the neighborhoods, I suppose. I'm not moving until June so I have a little bit of time.

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Good Lord. Sounds like the entire mid-Atlantic is fair game for being a DC exurb these days. Pennsylvania to DC as a work commute? May as well live in West Virginia. I hear it's almost heaven.

[​IMG]

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Benning Road, I drive by it on 295 on the way to Maryland, but I don't think I've ever stopped. I grew up in the Virginia suburbs, so I'm no expert on living inside the District itself.

Draft saved Draft deleted