1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving to DC ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Feb 9, 2007.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Rent is pretty ridiculous, and I would really like to buy a place. However, most real estate in the city and even NoVa, southern Maryland is, uh, a little out of my price range. I found a couple of condos in Southeast that were reasonable. Would I be crazy to live in that part of town? Is that where the ballpark is going up? Any advice would be welcome.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Real Estate is so insane down there that people are moving into south central Pa and doing the commute via the Metro. I guess it depends on what your salary will be.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I will be making pretty decent money, enough so that something in the 200s is realistic. Any idea about SE? I've heard bad things.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Pirates, message me for the lowdown on the area. But I tell you what, if your address has a SE in it, you better be realllllllll close to Capitol Hill. Otherwise, I know the area extremely well and can help you out.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I know someone who commutes from York, Pa., to Baltimore every day for work. D.C. another thing, though.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Winchester! It's the new Fredericksburg!

Seriously, 200s? You're going to have to want an old house in Prince William or Loudoun County if you want something even remotely decent. Condos in Lorton, about 20 miles south of D.C. along I-95 are going for around $450K. Tiny little condos. Even the houses in my mom's shitty neighborhood are going for $350K. If you want 200s, be prepared to commute a long, long way for work.

7. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

the new ballpark is in southeast, which is undergoing gentrification. southeast is home to anacostia, one of the city's most depressed areas in terms of socioeconomics (i.e., a ghetto).

but like many big cities that underwent "white flight," d.c. has experienced shifting deomographics as suburbanites return, weary from long daily commutes.

i haven't lived there since 2000, but certain parts of southeast are more desirable than not long ago.

8. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Be careful -- do your research.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

How about Petworth? What kind of neighborhood is that? There are some brand new tiny condos there in the low 200s.

10. Flying Headbutt

That's one of the gentrifying areas, and one that's slated for some big improvements in the coming years. I think it's also near the Columbia Heights/Mt. Pleasant area that's going through the same sort of revitalization. Lots of different cultures and flavors around there. It could be a fun place to get in on.

11. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Hey Cosmo and Headbutt: A couple years ago, I visited a friend who lived on Benning. She was doing teaching for kids in that area.

It looked like a bad area, like something out of a Chappelle standup.

Just how bad is Benning Road?

12. Flying Headbutt

It ain't fun. There are worse places nearby, but the only time most people choose to be in that area is to see a ballgame. Very impoverished.

Draft saved Draft deleted