1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving to Arkansas and I know nothing about the state or Arkansians(?) ... Help?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TMagelssen, Jul 4, 2011.

1. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Memphis is not considered a part of Tennessee. Many refer to it as "East Arkansas."

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Like everyone east of Jackson says, "If we gave Memphis to Arkansas, we'd double the IQ of both states."

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Is there a good place in Arkansas for a beating?

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'd love to go to Wakarusa someday, but one festival a year is enough for me.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Which one did/will you go to this year?

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Bonnaroo.

Already bought next year's ticket in a presale.

7. TMagelssen

TMagelssen New Member

Thanks for all of tips and laughs. I've been here a few days, and it has been a pretty smooth transition. The accent thing is going to take some getting used to - I did some phone interviews my first day and half of my notes were unusable because I couldn't understand what people were saying.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

After a few years in the business, your notes will be unusable because your penmanship will unreadable. Buy a tape recorder.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Re: Moving to Arkansas and I know nothing about the state or Arkansians(?) ... H

Spent a few days of my recent vacation at a family reunion on Lake Ouachita, west of Hot Springs. Lovely country. Worst part was driving on I-40 between Memphis and LR. Speed limit for cars is 70, but it's only 65 for trucks, and apparently the troopers are pretty diligent about keeping the big rigs at 65. So what you get are these long convoys of 18-wheelers that just gum up traffic flow. I also did not realize how far south LR's sprawl extends down I-30. It's about 40 miles from the I-30/I-440 connection to the exit to Hot Springs at Malvern, and I'd say 30 miles of it was urban spillover.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Try the Dooleyfish app... it works real well at English-Frontier Gibberish and back again...

Draft saved Draft deleted