1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving to Arkansas and I know nothing about the state or Arkansians(?) ... Help?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TMagelssen, Jul 4, 2011.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I've got a bunch of family on my Mom's side in Harrison, a little town about 15 mins south of Branson. Always enjoyed visiting there. Took in my first NW Arkansas Naturals game with my dad on Father's Day last month. That was fun too. Never been any further south than that, though.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

As someone who has driven from Branson to Harrison more times than I'd like to remember, on no planet is that anywhere near a 15-minute drive. It's 35 miles, at least a good portion of which will be spent driving at least 15-30 miles below the posted speed limit behind either a tractor, a semi or a meth-addled hillbilly in a Toyota Camry.

3. doubledown68

On the contrary, Highway 65 is complete. Four lanes of highway going to and fro. Speed limit 65.

Now, the road between Harrison and Springdale is like that, but I was told they're in the process of widening it so that the area has an east-west highway to match 65.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Damnit! Took 'em long enough. God, I hated that stretch of 65 from Branson to Little Rock.

5. doubledown68

Yeah, I can imagine. I was lucky I only had to go as far south as Harrison.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Most social and professional interactions are shoe-optional.
    So that's a plus.

7. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

We used to have a guy in our area whose favorite line was "Arkansas is like Mississippi but with shoes."

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If newspapering doesn't work out, you can film an episode of "Finding Bigfoot" where they look for the Fouke Monster.

Or you could solve the Phantom Killer murders that inspired the movie "The Town That Dreaded Sundown."

9. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

I've lived in Arkansas for all of my 24 years of existence and some might say that is 23 1/2 years too long. All kidding aside its not too bad here. I don't live near Pine Bluff but I know enough about to give you some pointers.

What has been said about the racial make up of the city is true. It is split 50/50 and it has its good parts and bad parts, but I don't know exactly where those are. I know if you need a place to live, White Hall which is about five minutes up the road from Pine Bluff is a good option. My former boss grew up in that area and always speaks highly of it. At last check, his mother still lived in White Hall.

The Razorbacks drive the sporting pulse of the state. Being so close to little rock I would say 95 percent of the people will be Razorback fans in your area. I'm sure they will also pull for UAPB, but the Razorbacks come first. Even in the northeast part of the state where Arkansas State is located, which is a D-1 school, the Razorbacks rule.

High School sporting wise, Pine Bluff high school played in the 7A state football championship a few years back. Dollarway, which is also in Pine Bluff, is an athlete factory as well. Watsons Chapel also tends to be very competitive. Plenty of good sporting events to cover. Little Rock is about an hour away from Pine Bluff and provides some nightlife if you are willing to drive. I can't speak to what Pine Bluff has in night life but I imagine it isn't much.

The crime rate in Pine Bluff tends to be high, but I'm sure its like most places. If you are smart and keep your wits you can stay safe. Pine Bluff also has a paper mill and yes it smells......badly. You do get used to it, but your first few weeks could be tough. There is also a weapons arsenal for the U.S. Military in Pine Bluff. I've driven by it and it has always looked kind of cool but I've never stopped to see how close you can get to it.

As far as Arkansasans go we are generally a friendly bunch. If you are from the north we do have accents, but so do you so live with it. We say things like yall and enjoy Sweet Iced Tea. We will fry anything (I've had fried Racoon and Snake prepared by my grandmother). The weather sucks. Temperatures can reach in the 100s in the summer time and below freezing in the winter. It generally snows a few times a year, although you might be far enough south to miss all of that. We also live in tornado alley. January-May tends to be the most active. Just be aware that storms will happen and tornados can occur. August is usually the hottest month. The humidity sky rockets sometimes to 70-80 percent with temps in the 90s. It isn't fun. Mosquitos can be a problem in places, not sure about Pine Bluff though.

All in all enjoy your time. If you'd like to know anything specific feel free to ask or pm me and I'll do my best to answer it.

10. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

My brother lived for maybe a year and a half or two years in Blytheville. Not sure how he didn't kill himself.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If you're on I-40 between Little Rock and Memphis, don't stop for gas in Brinkley if you don't have to. They'll gouge you for 20-25 cents more per gallon than everywhere else because they're the only real civilization for 40 miles either direction, and in a Chevy Tahoe, that adds up quickly. Found that out on my trip to the farm.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They should put that on the chamber of commerce's website.

Draft saved Draft deleted