1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving to an island...maybe...please help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Overrated, Apr 6, 2008.

1. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

went to hawaii for 11 days once, couldn't wait to leave. being a six-hour flight from anywhere would drive me crazy before very long. i felt like every random encounter I had with a transplant, they ended up telling me their whole life story, because they were dying for someone to talk to. beautiful beaches and climate and great seafood, but i felt just a teeny bit like i was in prison or something.

can i put in a word for costa rica. just as pretty, plenty of opportunities to lead kayak trips or fishing charters or whatever, but more latched onto something resembling civilization.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I lived on Guam for three years. I loved it.
    However, island life is expensive, and it's a drag being broke in any environment.
    However, as I said, I loved it, even though I was broke.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Not a word of this is incorrect. If you don't mind being on a small rock in the middle of the world's largest ocean, though, you could do worse than Hawaii. Maybe somewhere like Kauai, Molokai or Lanai would be secluded enough for the OP.

For those who want island life and don't want to bail on the business just yet, there's always this:

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=904893

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

Nevis, Queen of the Caribbees

Great drinking, great gambling, great contentment.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what would a nightcap run on that island, lee?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Antarctica's an island, right? They have a kick-ass Holiday Inn there, as I recall.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Tom, a couple grand, and that with a rich girlfriend. But for a week, and with all the requisite indulgences (merriment, gambling, windsurfing, etc). I give it two bongs up, I would live there in a heartbeat and have given it consideration.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

So you know my nickname is Ogie. Well, I'm fucked.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Iceland - All of the nation's electrical power is generated by hydroelectric and geothermal. They only use fossil fuels for cars and boats. So when peak oil hits, they won't be that affected by it.

10. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I wouldn't say they won't be totally affected, but the impact will be minimal, yes.

Even better is that they are in the process of moving to all of their transportation to hydrogen, both cars and boats. They can do this because of the excess hydrogen produced through the geothermal process. Smart folks.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

There are extra expenses to consider when moving to an island, and the more distant or remote, the more the expenses.
    Land is at a premium, so rents and sale prices are high.
    Gas prices are higher (Hawaii is the only place the government successfully investigated oil companies that were colluding to inflate prices) because everything has to be shipped in.
    A lot of the regular groceries - milk, eggs, etc. - that you take for granted are more expensive.
    Many of the things you enjoy, specialty items, are unavailable or really expensive.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If you don't mind winter, Newfoundland is one of the great undiscovererd places in North America.

Draft saved Draft deleted