1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving Tips

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BrianM, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

If there's freecycle in the area you're moving to, join the list. It's amazing how much furniture and how many TVs people give away (at least in my town). You could easily furnish an apartment for free by getting stuff from people on freecycle.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

For the record, I paid my own moving expenses last year. I got to deduct mileage at .29 a mile and no food. Only mileage and/or hotels. I stayed at my folks', so that was it.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Hmm, wonder if I could get my company to pay my cable TV/internet bill? Might be more likely than asking for a raise.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'm no accountant, but just keep tabs on direct moving expenses such as the U-Haul rental, gas, motel rooms, etc. Boxes/packing materials are tax deductible, too.

Food expenses aren't deductible ... you eat whether you're moving or not.

And good luck in the new job.

EDIT: That famed tax guru IJAG beat me to it! :D

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, keep a receipt for the U-Haul...then a receipt for the tow truck that takes the U-Haul to your house. Good times.

6. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I remember renting a U-Haul once that had a near-fatal fuel-line problem. I remember a turn arrow going green and I was first in line and blocked the entire line by stalling out twice before the arrow changed back to red. Next time the arrow came around, I had it in a high idle and was able to punch it through. I also hate how the mirrors on most U-Hauls vibrate like such a SOB that you can barely see behind you anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted