1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving Tips

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BrianM, Mar 3, 2011.

1. BrianM

BrianM Member

Thanks, Gator. I'm sure I'm not as young as I sound. I got bit by the journalism bug after a setback in another job. And I just broke up with somebody, which, of course, puts me in exactly right frame of mind to get out of my current location and get down to Podunk......

2. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Ahhh, my first full-time job after college, I remember fitting everything I owned in a two-door coupe, and no it was not an El Dorado or anything substantial.

It was all downhill from there, stuff-wise. Once you buy ANY kind of furniture, you're doomed in terms of moving. If you think you'll only be at a place for a year or two, only buy cheap used furniture. As long as you don't set it on fire, it's basically like making a deposit because you can sell it for what you paid for it whenever you move again. Plus the second-hand plates, mugs, etc., that you'll find at your local thrift store will have a lot more color and character than whatever beige plastic crap they sell at Wal-Mart.

3. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

Consider finding someone who will rent out a room. Besides lowering your rental costs, you won't have to pay much for furnishings.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

As recently as 7 months ago my couch was one of those canvas lawn chairs and my TV was at least 15 years old and 19" big. I laughed at all this talk about high def. I thankfully was able to steal a new old tv from my folks, 32" and weighs half a ton. Still no high def. I took the plunge and for the first time in my life and after 9 years in the business finally bought my first couch, and actually the chair to go with it. It was then that I realized I was now screwed as far as packing up and moving in the back of a pickup truck. I still don't have a table of any sort. But it works for me.

As someone who has moved eight times in the last nine-and-a-half years I cannot stress enough the importance of not being afraid to get rid of shit you don't really need. If it's something you only think you may need, you don't really need it.
    The first couple of months are going to suck. Just accept it and be happy when you can live a little bit again. Just busy yourself with work. Renting a room is a good idea. I've had good luck with basement suites as well, and they to are often cheaper than an apartment.

Don't be afraid to check if the company will cover moving costs, if they are a paper that develops a lot of writers, which is what they sound like, they are more than aware of your likely financial stand point. Just don't be surprised if they don't cover any expenses. None of my three shops have covered anything as far as moving expenses are concerned and in this age of newspapers fewer and fewer are. What they may be able to do for you however, is point you in the direction of affordable accommodations in the city/town you are moving to or you may be able to take over a lease from an exiting reporter and maybe save yourself the deposit. An editor or someone else established at the paper may even rent out their basement or a room or have a friend who does.

Really though, find whatever cheap place you can at first and save to get yourself into a more appropriate spot in a few months. Don't lock yourself into a long term lease until you are happy with your spot.

5. RecoveringDesker

RecoveringDesker Active Member

Christ, you people are depressing me.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Some people live the college-type life all their lives.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Furnishing a house might be the biggest pain in the ass I've encountered. Ever.

Anyway...aren't futons pretty cheap still? Gotta be cheaper than a regular bed, right? Go that route, and maybe check out any thrift stores and places like that to find a cheap sofa or recliner.

And check Craigslist. I've sold/given away multiple pieces of furniture on there. You'd be surprised what you might find. Cheap.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Ah, moving into my first apartment, a one-bedroom, for my first newspaper gig. That brings back memories.

Bought a bed for something like $300. I was originally going to spend just $50-100, but when my then-girlfriend (now my wife) saw the quality of those mattresses, she was, "I'm not sleeping on those." Bought the more expensive mattress. It lasted 10 years. The relationship and marriage have lasted considerably longer.

My parents gave me an old couch, an old small TV, a very old table, their old dishes, and some old chairs that were stylish 30 years earlier. Rented a small U-Haul. drove up to Podunk with my dad while the future wife drove my car.

Made it up there, brought everything in, then my dad and I drove back to return the U-Haul. An hour later, when we returned, the future wife had fixed everything up very nicely for me, including using my old trunk as a coffee table.

Eventually, the giant 15-year-old microwave nearly burned the apartment down one day, but we recycled it. We put a tablecloth on it, flipped it on its side, and used it as an end table in the living room.

The only luxury item that I had was a Sega Genesis and a few video games that I had bought for half-price from a toy store. I figured that with there not being much to do in Podunk, that I needed something for entertainment.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Get rid of stuff. I think we all have moved too much stuff we don't need too many times.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

When we moved into our new house last summer, we still had unopened boxes from two moves ago. And they're probably still unopened.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Had a beer cooler for a coffee table. It was multifunctional. Those were the days.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You can have a couch that is your bed, a cooler for an ottoman or coffee table, and you get to watch games for free as part of your job.

Good times. Good times.

Draft saved Draft deleted