1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

moving rates

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BRoth, Feb 24, 2008.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I sort of made the "sell everything" remark to my wife.
    Let's just say we will not be doing that, either.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

a "first big move." i'm guessing broth isn't old ... like you two.

3. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

just moved about 1,500 miles, towing a car, for about 750. Call one company, then call the other and say Company 1 is giving it to you for 50 bucks less than they actually did. They'll usually cut you a pretty good deal.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

or you can be ballsy and say $100. ;)

5. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Try companies other than U-Haul -- Penske, Budget, etc. Every time I've moved myself, U-Haul has the highest prices and they also have the shittiest trucks. Bad combination.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Bingo. When I moved from Idaho to Texas, U-Haul was by far the most expensive. I went with Budget and saved close to $800 on the truck alone, add in that the truck was newer and had a better engine and I got better gas mileage.
    One thing I'm thinking that will help with a move from the East to the Midwest is you won't have to drive over any mountains, which will help your gas mileage.
    Our poor truck had to pull a car up and over the mountains between SLC and Wyoming and then over Rotan pass between Colorado and New Mexico. It was sketchy enough in a Budget truck that was pretty new. If I would have been in one of those U-Hauls that was 25 years old, I doubt we would have made it.

Oh, and if you are going to tow a car, be sure and get the trailer where all four wheels are on it. The worst thing I ever did was save $200 by getting a dolly for my car. That fucker made driving in windy conditions and in cities especially scary.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

angola, where in the world did you ever run into wind?

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Ditto. I used one when I moved here. Bad enough trying to drive over mountains in a UHaul with squawking cats and a trailer, let alone trying to do it pulling a car on a dolly.

9. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

Also, make sure you're picking up and dropping off your moving van or trailer in a major city. Even if you have to drive an hour to pick up or drop off the moving truck, it's well worth. I'm talking hundreds of dollars.

Draft saved Draft deleted