1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

moving rates

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BRoth, Feb 24, 2008.

1. BRoth

BRoth Member

So the lady friend and I are looking down the road and checking into what costs would be like for our first big move. We'd be going from the East to the Mid-West in the early fall, about 2,000 miles total.

Damn, it's expensive.

The U-Haul rate for the trip is about $2,500 at the smallest trailer. Most likely, we wouldn't be getting any kind of moving expense paid for by a potential employer, so for the purpose of this, we're paying for the move out of our pockets.

I'm sure there's plenty of people here with advice, stories, or somewhere in between. What's the best course of action in your experiences for how to handle the move?

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Sell all your shit that won't fit in your car. Purchase new or used stuff.

3. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

here's a good site for moving company reviews, etc.

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

4. BRoth

BRoth Member

It's looking like the best possibility. The Lady Friend wants to keep lots of the stuff we have right now, but honestly, we may be able to fit a good amount of things between our two cars and shipping a few things too.

5. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Bingo.

I just moved about 2,000 miles. Sold everything that didn't fit in the Corolla. If you have two cars, you'll be able to bring more stuff. And if your car is bigger than a Corolla, better still.

The cost of just gas was about 400 or so. You could get out here on about a grand. Buying new stuff would obviously cost some, but that's up to you.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The Lady Friend?
    Isn't this 2008? Most women I know catch you using The Lady Friend, you'll be moving alone.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

"Dude, she's not my special lady friend."

[​IMG]

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I paid about 2K for movers when I went from Indiana to Montana.

And I have no desire to unload my furniture, which I love, and buy new or used in a different place. I know plenty of other women who feel the same way.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Depends on how old you are, and how much investment you made in your furniture, I guess.

I didn't know how long I'd be keeping this stuff, so I went cheap and mobile. I can get rid of it at any time.

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

I just punched in a 1,200-mile trip (an upcoming move for myself) through U-Haul's site:
    17-foot van (average size)
    5 days
    $757
    The truck has a 40-gallon tank, and most of them get about 10-15 miles to the gallon. So we're looking at another $300 or so in gas. Even doubling the total amount (to match the distance you're about to go), we're still coming up a few hundred bucks cheaper than what you were quoted. I'm assuming some of that difference is hotels/food.
    Still, keep doing some research, you might be able to find something for closer to $2 Gs.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i looked into moving to hawaii once. read a book that said if your house isn't stocked with priceless items, that you should hold a couple of garage sales, move and then restock the new house by visiting garage sales in the area where you move.

the key is to save all the money you make at your garage sales and spend it refurbishing your new home.

it's cheaper, easier on the back, less stress and you'll probably get a new tv out of the deal. and really, at your age, you probably will be upgrading if you're a little bit picky when choosing your new stuff.

also, be sure to have TWO gargage sales. put decent prices on your shit in the first sell and don't budge on the selling prices all that much. and then make the second sale a blowout, one-day fire sell.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Let me put it this way. It could cost me about 3K more than BRoth's UHaul quote to replace everything with comprable stuff, and that's not counting the antique dresser my grandfather gave me when I was born or the paintings that my grandmother did.

Draft saved Draft deleted