1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving overseas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TrooperBari, Sep 5, 2008.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Anyone have experience in, or advice for, packing up and taking a gig overseas?

I accepted an offer to be sports editor for an English-language paper in Asia, and they want me there by the end of the month. I've already racked up a decent expense in canceling contracts (fuck you very much, DirecTV), and I'll likely spend the weekend divvying up my already meager belongings into what to take and what to leave with the parents. What else should I add to my checklist?

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

learn to love dog.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Deciding whether or not to stay in the Poll...

Actually, the person you need to talk to is Guerrilla Scribe... he's been working in Europe for years

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Books, CDs, etc. get left behind. Sell your car.

Check to see if your electronics will work over there. You'll either need to ditch them or get converters for them all.

Write down your SJ password in case you forget once you get there.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Shots... lots and lots of shots...

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I'm jealous. Hit me up when you need a copy editor.

Anyway, rip all your CDs to your computer and make sure your adaptors work over there. Agree with everything said here. And investigate the money situation thoroughly, like if you can use your bank account over there without penalty. Sounds like a stupid question but I'd be curious how that works.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Hope you do not need to bring a pet with you.

It can be complicated (as I'm finding out).

9. TrooperBari

If you have people on the waiting list, I'll step aside.

My current bank only goes as far as American Samoa, so I'll probably have to empty it out before leaving. There's a Citibank and an HSBC over there, so banking shouldn't be too difficult once I arrive.

No pets, thankfully. Just me, my laptop, some clothes and a selection of books, DVDs and CDs.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If you don't mind, which country in Asia will be home base? China? India? Qatar?

11. TrooperBari

Indonesia.

I've tried a few places before, but I've never got this far. The Japan Times never returned my e-mails, the China Daily said my services were not required (a blessing in disguise, that was) and the Korea Times expected me to pay for my flight and housing.

I'd like to work in Japan one day, so hopefully this is a good first step.

----------------

Thanks for the replies, folks. Once I find an ex-pat bar suitable for SJ Outings, I'll let you know.

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Take only clothes and any important paperwork.
    Hopefully, you are leaving your important stuff in storage opr with family here.
    Put it somewhere and move forward, don't worry about it.
    Don't know how long you plan to stay gone, but ..
    Clothes are the only important thing.
    Appliances and electronic plug-in stuff won't work over there, I highly suspect.
    So don't worry with that stuff.
    We bought lots of that sort of stuff, then sold it easily when we left Europe.
    I was in Germany for 3 years until returning a few months ago.
    Make sure you have easy access to your money once you get there.
    ATMs will be plentiful, too.
    Good luck. Communicating back to U.S. will be easier than you think.
    Watch and see.

Draft saved Draft deleted