1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving On Through The Primaries

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jan 21, 2008.

1. SAS and Pat Buchanan.
    It was epochal.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Unfortunately, I'm guessing, it wasn't apocryphal.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I think they need to let SAS moderate a debate.

Honestly, could he do worse than Russert?

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Is it entirely implausible that he realized it was a stupid vote? And as noted earlier, he campaigned in favor of the MLK holiday in Arizona more than 15 years ago. It's not exactly like it's a new "revelation" on his part.

And honestly, you said on another thread that he dumped wife number one because of his Presidential aspirations. It was 1980, before he ran for any office. It's a bullshit allegation. You also accused him of district shopping. Here was his response to that, years ago, when someone brought that up at a candidates forum:

"Listen, pal. I spent 22 years in the Navy. My grandfather was in the Navy. We in the military service tend to move a lot. We have to live in all parts of the country, all parts of the world. I wish I could have had the luxury, like you, of growing up and living and spending my entire life in a nice place like the first district of Arizona, but I was doing other things. As a matter of fact, when I think about it now, the place I lived longest in my life was Hanoi."

Which, while certainly self-serving, is a pretty good argument.

As for Keating, no great defense there. Of the Keating Five he was found to have been the least offensive of the bunch -- the senate found he exhibited "poor judgment" -- and he has been at the forefront of campaign finance reform since then, so at least he has made an effort to atone for his sins.

McCain has a whole host of problems as a candidate, the war being tops on the list. You're lobbing out crap that doesn't belong in the discussion.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . which is known in some circles as "covering all the bases".

7. Yes, and Jack Kennedy didn't have any address when he was in the Solomons. McCain's been a political animal since he was in the Pentagon, squiring Kissinger around. He went to Arizona because there was a district he could win. This is district-shopping. Nothing much wrong with it, but to say it wasn't is to ignore the reality. Campaigning in favor of the holiday back home and voting against it in Congress rather looks like both ends against the middle, except that we know Straight Talkin' John never does that.
    I am disappointed we didn't hear more about the "agents of inmtolerance" this time around. Must be more tolerable.

Oh, and Rudy!?
    I think your strategy needs some work.
    http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23090238-5012572,00.html

8. Double-post to bump the thread:

This is interesting.
    http://politicalwire.com/archives/2008/01/22/emc_poll_romney_catches_mccain_in_california.html

The "base" still hates you, John.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Rudy may want to start being worried. He's only third at 15% in the a new Florida poll. His campaign is looking more and more like Thompson's every day.

http://www.tampabay.com/specials/2008/photo_galleries/012308PresidentialPoll/index.shtml

10. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Isn't Florida a winner-take-all primary?

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Under the GOP rules, that's my understanding.

Draft saved Draft deleted