1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving On Through The Primaries

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Wonder what Senator Straight-Talk is doing to celebrate MLK day, which he voted against?

2. Jones

Jones Active Member

Does Arizona still not recognize MLK Day? I have to confess, my knowledge on the subject is limited to that Public Enemy song.

3. I don't know about Arizona, jonesy, but I know he voted against the federal holiday in the Senate.

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

In a Feb. 9 "Hardball" interview with Chris Matthews, McCain compared his evolution to that of one of his political heroes, former Arizona Sen. Barry Goldwater. "I believe that Barry Goldwater, to start with, regretted his vote on the 1964 Civil Rights Act," McCain said. "I think that Barry grew, like all of us grow and evolve. In 1983, when I was brand-new in the Congress, I voted against the recognition of Dr. Martin Luther King. That was a mistake, OK? And later I had the chance to ... help fight for ... the recognition of Dr. Martin Luther King as a holiday in my state."

But keep throwing shit against the wall. God knows we need another F_B attack thread like we need ... well, about like we need another anti-Hillary thread.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't know if Arizona recognizes MLK Day or not but I do know that Arkansas, Alabama and Mississippi are the only States that celebrate MLK Day in conjunction with Robert E. Lee Day.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Arizona voters approved the holiday in 1992

7. This isn't an attack thread.
    However, we certainly are going to need a list at some point on those things that McCain has said and done and then, when it became politically expedient, apologized for. It will be a long one.

8. If these numbers keep trending, they're going to screw up someone's shit:

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/election_20082/2008_presidential_election/florida/election_2008_florida_republican_primary

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

There was a great In Living Color sketch about the racism in Arizona done by Keenan Ivory and Damon Wayans -- The Brothers Brothers.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Jesus, Fen, if you're going to sling the mud at least be man enough to admit it. I don't know when "politically expedient" became your little phrase for McCain but it's growing tiresome quickly.

11. SAS On Hardball Now!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And PC -- let me explain. He was perfectly willing to suck down Charlie Keating's money -- and he went on vacation with that old swindler at least five times -- in order to help build his political career. Then he got caught in a crack and had a revelation. He voted against the MLK holiday because that's what the foot soldiers of the "Reagan revolution" that he's so proud of having been part of did. Now, it looks bad and, poof! another revelation, another apology. Is there any more reason for an MLK holiday now than there was in 1983? Other than political expediency, what's your explanation? That he learned about Dr. King sometime in the last 24 years?

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Thanks, Fenian, but I'd rather watch the debate on CNN.

Draft saved Draft deleted