1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving, movers, etc.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by audreyld, May 22, 2007.

1. audreyld

audreyld Guest

So, I'm moving out of my apartment.

Movers are coming this evening. I need to know how much to tip. I know we had a thread on this when ijag was moving, but I can't remember what it said, plus I have other questions.

Two months ago, I gave my apartment people a letter saying I'd be out June 1. Have no idea if they read it or tossed it or ate it. They're not so good with communicating.

That said, I'm not waiting until June 1. I'm leaving tomorrow. Can I just walk in and give them my keys? I have no idea how this works, and would appreciate someone telling me what to expect.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

As long as you're out by June 1, they don't care when you leave. They have your money.

And no tipping movers.

3. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I feel so sorry for movers that I not only tip them, I offer them water constantly.

Not sure how much stuff you're moving, but $20.00 a person is reasonable.

Happy packing & unpacking!

4. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Thanks. The packing's done (finally) and it's all headed to storage until August, so I'll worry about the unpacking then.

I have seven boxes, one couch, one chair and ottoman, a small table, a bookshelf and a dresser and bed.

I'm a little saddened by how little stuff I own.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

If you're expecting to get a security deposit back,you might want to schedule a walk through with the landlord or at the very least take some photos to show what condition you left the place in.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Don't be saddened, UT. Be ever grateful. Less stuff means fewer headaches at times like yours.

7. audreyld

audreyld Guest

This actually brings up another question.

I'm fairly certain I won't be getting the deposit back, though I can't give you a good reason for that. I just have a feeling about these people.

If I don't expect to get it back, is it wrong for me to be unmotivated to vacuum the floors?

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I don't know how big your deposit is or what your financial situation is, but wouldn't doing a walk through help? It's one thing to assume you won't get it back because you have a feeling, but another to actually make them tell you to your face why.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I bought my movers a couple of 12-packs the last time I went through this.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I bought my movers McDonald's for lunch and tipped them each $25.

Good luck!

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If that's all the shit you got, why are you paying movers?

Get a UHaul trailer and go.

12. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Still requires people to do the lifting, and I didn't want to ask my friends to do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted