1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving for that new job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NDub, Sep 23, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Hopefully, the company will be reimbursing the money for the flight. That's how it worked out for me in one instance. In another, the company paid for the ticket up front.

2. NDub

NDub Guest

Yes, they're going to pay for my flight and hotel. I'll rent a car and then give them the bill for it.

*fingers crossed*

3. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Good luck, NDub. Hope it works out.

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

NDub...I'm in the same boat...although I'm hoping to stay in the biz (although I'm open to other media-type jobs)...moving away from a state I've called home for 36 years, but nothing holding my family down...we're excited about the move.

The road block I've ran into are publications that like my stuff, but are hesitant to take a risk on someone from across the country (Northwest)...of course the current economy makes fly-in interviews next-to-impossible. Here's hoping someone will take a chance on me soon...I'm ready to go. :)

5. I just moved for a job and it's been a financial hit and a half. There is so much stuff you have to pay for you never think to include in the pre-move calculations. I would really caution against it unless you're single and willing to live very frugally or you have a spouse who makes big bucks.

6. NDub

NDub Guest

I'm digging this back up. A lot of good advice. Plus I'm closer than ever to making "the move."

@big green wahoo - Care to elaborate what some of these extra or smack-you-in-the-face costs are?

7. Beachey

Beachey Member

An old boss of mine told me that the most difficult move is out of your hometown, after that, if the opportunity is right it is not that difficult. My experience having moved once more and planning on moving in about two months is he was absolutely right.

8. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

Just finished 'making the move'. It doesn't have to be outrageously expensive. Seeing people rent a U-Haul for a cross-country drive to take their shit that totals $100 in value always makes me chuckle. Depending on where you are in life, you're just better off loading up the car, heading out ______ and buying shit as you get settled in.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I got reimbursed for the moving truck, gas for the car and the truck, hotels along the way and food. I was lucky to have the cash up front to pay a few thousand for that, especially after paying a deposit and rent for my new place.

10. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

My first job out of college was at a small daily in Smalltown USA. The sports editor was in his 60's and had lived in that same small town his whole life. Born there, went to high school there, college there, settled down there. Never left. He spent decades covering the high school that he attended. He lived his entire life in a 10-mile radius.

For some people, their entire family is in the area, they feel they have everything they need right there and they see no reason to leave. There's certainly nothing wrong with that.

Myself ..... I could never do this. I went cross country for college and am living in my third state already since graduating. And I'm only just about to turn 28. The grass is not always greener, that much is for sure. But the more you're willing to be adventuresome, the more opportunities you will stumble upon. I got my foot in the door at stop #1, met the girl I'll be marrying at stop #2 and have embarked upon an exciting slightly new career direction at stop #3. This one may be the final stop, it may not. It hasn't always been easy, but numbers 2 and 3 wouldn't have happened if I had never left the station at stop #1.

Obviously it's a little different if you're from a major market where there's opportunities abound. But if you're in Smalltown, USA, there's a whole other world out there waiting for you and a move will likely change your life forever. It may not always be for the better, but you'll never know unless you step outside of that bubble.

Everyone is different and there's no right or wrong. Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents into the hat.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Great post, Golf Nut.

And NDub, if the job offer is what you want/need, don't be afraid to make the move. Good luck!

12. NDub

NDub Guest

These are some great pieces of advice. I really appreciate all of this.

I've talked to a lot of people inside and outside of my circle. All of them have said "go for it." I'm not moving from Smalltown, USA but I'll be leaving behind a place that I've always said I wanted to leave.

I've one who enjoys being in the center of the busiest and most happening environments. Not that I'm a big-time extrovert, but I like new and different things. This part in itself excites me about the move. Add that with the great job opportunity and even better career move, and I think I've got my answer for them tomorrow.

Draft saved Draft deleted