1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving for that new job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NDub, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I moved 2,000 miles and stayed in the biz. Moved from a city with 200,000 to one with 10,000. Good move, but still adjusting to small-town life.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Wherever you end up, find the biggest guy there on the first day, then beat the shit out of him. Instant respect.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'd agree with those saying use this as an opportunity to explore. Moved about 600 miles, out of state, two job searches ago, and took it as a challenge. Do some of those things you might not have done where you lived before, like go to the parades and various civic festivals, to get a feel for the town. You may find some unique events. If your family is online, or has reasonably priced long distance (cell or conventional), keeping in touch is not a problem. You may also want to start following one of the area's teams ... it will at least give you some cred around the coffee pot or water cooler. Need to catch the hometown team? There's always the dish or the local sports bar.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I moved to South Florida after living 30 years in SoCal. Scary, but the right move. As others have said, jump into your new place and soak it up.

5. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

I've lived in five different provinces and have never had a problem packing up and leaving anywhere for something new. Each time it was to a city where I knew no one.

It helps if you play a sport or join a club. That's the obvious and easy way to get to know people.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Taking a somewhat contrary stand...

I moved to Kentucky when I was 15. Spent the next 12 years begging to get out. Couldn't stand it, too backward, etc.

Since then, I've moved twice for two different jobs. I've never been as happy as I was in Kentucky. I had my friends and family, I was comfortable, and I was happy. Truly happy in the things that mattered.

On a personal level, I've been absolutely bitter and miserable since moving away.

So while I'm glad I took the jobs I did, I would give anything to be closer to my family right now.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And there is that. I felt the same way after I went to SoFla from SoCal. Totally different, and it was a big adjustment. It's not easy, certainly.

8. torero

torero New Member

Some 20-plus years ago, moved from my home turf across the country to Delaware, where I spent the worst 2.5 years of my life on every conceivable level. And going in I was sure I'd love it.

But looking back, and only because this question was asked, I made the best of it at the time and eventually found an escape route back home. So being home was best for me, but I work with and have known plenty of people who would say the exact opposite.

Personally, I suppose I grew, or gained some perspective -- or whatever Wonder Years spin one might put on it -- from the experience.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

It isn't where you are, it is who you are with.

Being single and lonely in a new place can be awfully scary, I've done it. The one surprising thing, to me, is how many people you will find in your new place who have a connection back to your old place.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

True dat -- and that "who" includes family for many people, as IJAG's post shows.

Life is life, no matter where you are. In most jobs, the everyday routine feels the same in any location. A preps reporter is going to be living the same kind of day-to-day life in Kalamazoo or Wichita or Macon.

Lonely and miserable is the same everywhere. But if you can surround yourself with good people -- whether they're co-workers or off-the-job friends -- chances are you'll enjoy yourself more. And that's when a place starts to feel like home. Even if, like for me, it's 2,500 miles from where you grew up and where your immediate family still lives.

11. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Eh ... some of us are happier (and better off) a few thousand clicks away from family.

12. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

I moved for a job far away from all of my family and friends. I actually regretted the decision and am in the process of rectifying the situation to move back closer.

It's not for everyone.

My folks did it 30 years ago and they both loved it. You'll never know if it's for you unless you try. For me, it wasn't the worst decision I've made, but it certainly wasn't one I'd make again, I'd guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted