1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving for that new job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NDub, Sep 23, 2009.

1. NDub

NDub Guest

As some of you know per our discussions on here, I've been looking to get out of the biz for several months. I'm going to work in PR, communications, marketing or some combination.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to relocate to get out of the biz and into a desired career field. It's just the nature of the current economy. Jobs are tight.

I'm 26 and have lived in this area for 18 years. My immediate and closest family and friends are here. It's going to suck and I'm holding onto something close maybe popping up in the near future, but I'm tired of crap pay, hours, benefits and a standstill in my career.

I'm going to move - it seems just like a matter of time. I've applied for a few jobs out of state - a few hours away, and probably a day away.

Who's moved? What was it like? My biggest concern is not knowing anyone and missing family and friends.

Any advice or sharing of experiences will help. Thank you.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'm guessing you're single. Is that true? It makes a difference.

3. NDub

NDub Guest

Yes. I'm single. No kids. Nothing to tie me down in that manner.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I moved to DC after 32 years of living in North Carolina. My family is still down there. Didn't know anyone up here. Things worked out fine, although my mom complains. Your mileage may vary.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Now is the time to get out and explore the world a bit. You might love the new place, might hate it. But at least go in with a good attitude.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I moved from Va to Ala back in 2006; first time I didn't live in Va. It sucked being so far away from friends and family. Took some getting used to, but I always had a two-year plan, which helped. Ended up staying 2 years and 3 months.

My advice would be to make as many friends as you can; some from work obviously, but also some from outside of work. Also, having a job you enjoy should make it a bit easier.

You're young with no kids. Hell, enjoy it. It's good to get out of your comfort zone.

Good luck.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

What Ace said.

26 and single, time to search for new adventures as well as a new job. Go out and enjoy yoour life.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Two things:

1) Attitude's the important thing: Wherever you go, dive in. Explore something new every week -- a new restaurant, a new park, a new neighborhood. Open yourself up to new experiences. You don't have to like everything you find, but at least you tried it once. It'll make you appreciate what you do like even more. And you'll likely discover things you had no idea you would enjoy.

2) Don't waste your time comparing your new city to your hometown. Yeah, you're going to miss some stuff, and that's normal, but you're just going to be miserable if you're constantly pining for somewhere that you're not. Take advantage of where you are, not where you're not.

Moving's scary. Especially the first time.
    But we've all done it.
    Make the most of it.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

WFW. Buck's on the money with this post.

As someone who just moved 1,700 miles, though, allow me to add an important point:

3. Keep track of ANY expense before, during and after your move. Since companies rarely pay for the entire cost of moving (if at all), you can write these off on your taxes.

Good luck.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Also...find the most populated bar in town and get completely shit-hammered on your first night in town. Good way to make friends. And dump a bunch of money you don't have. And pick up a nickname or three. :)

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Enjoy it. I moved halfway across the United States for my most-recent job and wouldn't look back. Start anew.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I lived in Michigan 22 years. Right out of college, my dad got transferred to Minneapolis. I got my first job three months later at a small daily in rural Minnesota, stayed there two years -- 90 miles from my parents.
    Had the chance to move back to Michigan an hour from where I grew up. Moved back and never regretted it. I rarely saw my lifelong friends and when I did, they had changed. Or maybe I did.
    My mother still grouses 25 years later that I'm not in Minnesota. I wouldn't move there for anything; nice place to visit, but it wasn't home.
    Home is where you make it. You're 26; go out and find your home.

Draft saved Draft deleted