1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Moving for new job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riddick, May 13, 2010.

1. jrw

jrw Member

Would agree that moving for a newspaper gig is pretty damn risky. I'm not sure I'd ever consider moving to another state if the job wasn't secure. Too much can go on in a short period of time when you decide to uproot your family in this career field.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

As someone else on this site once said, "Don't fuck with happy."

If you're happy where you're at right now, then don't mess it up. Especially for a gig that's so low paying that you'll be moving again anyways, either because the pay's so low, or because someone decided that they're not making enough money, so they whack a few of the worker bees.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Agreed. I'm the SE at a small daily, have a mortgage and family ties. I might have considered moving on to a bigger paper but there is next to no security. Too many people I know have found that out the hard way.

4. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

Here is a thought. Why not rent your current home to cover your mortgage to hang onto the property until the housing market recovers and the economy is better? I know that was my consideration last year, but fortunately I landed a job where I didn't need to relocate.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Honestly he should sell his house and try to downsize into something cheaper - like an apartment with a month-to-month lease or at least no penalties with 30 or 60 days notice of leaving -- before he thinks about taking a job somewhere else.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

That's not working. I know a couple of people who bought homes during the height of the boom who wanted to rent them out for a few years, and they can't charge enough to cover the high mortgage. I know people who are buying foreclosures now, though, who are pulling down a couple of hundred bucks in profit every month, and they should sell the homes for a nice return (even in a down economy).

Draft saved Draft deleted